Need your advice re diving in Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norway

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

I'll be visiting WebmasterWorld Pubcon in Boston from April 17th to 23rd and got some extra days.

Now I wonder if I should bring my equipment with me to make some dives there.
Can you recommend some good dive sites worth carring the stuff over Atlantic?

And what is the best way to find a buddy? Any diveclub recommendations? I'll be in a need of tank/air/nitrox and weights anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Well, it seems from your profile that you've got the training, cold water experience and gear to do a dive here during the winter. So, to make it worth carrying the gear over here, I'd suggest trying to go out with a charter that will take you to a wreck or two w/i your cert limits. You could try Cape Ann Divers or Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions. They both are currently running charter boats out of Cape Ann. There's probaby a few more out there and maybe someone else can post a link to their web sites. I'm not that computer savy.

Of course, you could hook up with a buddy and do a shore dive or two. This forum would be the place to find such a dive partner. That won't be me because I'm still working on that dry suit purchase. Good luck and have fun in the States.

LobstaMan

I reccommend bringing your drysuit, undergarment, BC,regs, mask,fins...everything else can be provided. Shore diving is amazing in Mass, and you can check out some of the sites here: http://web.mit.edu/scuba-club/www/Dive_Sites.html take a look at Cape Ann's site's specifically.

Rental wise, there are tons of places you can rent gear...

Depending on which day and the weather, I might be able to dive with you. What type of a dive are you looking for? I have a boat but a shore dive is fine too. If you have DIN, I have 5 HP 120's so you wouldn't need tanks.

Many thanks for good advices (and link) and a special one to you Scott for suggesting your guidance. It would be a pleasure to dive with you if one of the days suits you.

I'm coming on 17th of April and the conference lasts 18th to 20th including. I'll stay for 3 more days 21 and 22 leaving on 23rd at 21:30.

So basically I have the possibility to dive:
- every evening after 18:00 (except 20th)
- full day 21st
- almost full day 22nd with latest time up from the water 21:30

When it comes to the type of diving I'm not especially fastidious. Does not like to sweem fast while underwater (unless that's a current that brings me along :wink:). Would be happy if you introduce me to one of those monsters photographs of which you have on your homepage Scott :D. With other words I'm very simple.

It might be a bit early in the season to see a big lobster but I could take you to where I've seen them before in April. That's provided you won't reveal where :)

The lobsters don't show in great numbers until mid-May IMHO but I'm always up for a bug hunt. We could do the Chester Poling and then do a lobster/scallop dive if you wanted. Or we could just do some 30'-50' dives too. It's up to you and we can decide the morning of the dive. My boat is trailered so I'm flexible.

As a bonus, it comes off sandbars pretty well too :)

21st sounds terrific.
And I promise to keep the lobster place secret.
Once again lots of thanks for your hospitality Scott, I'll start counting days from now.

P.S. What a fantastic boat you have. Cant wait...

Before I get another PM from people who are worked up about my posts here after I made comments in another thread, I will clear some things up.

1. Because he is coming from Norway and staying in a hotel, I don't think he will be taking/keeping any lobster or scallops. I know he will not :) I am offering to take and show him our sealife.

2. I welcome everyone to report me or anyone on my boat who ever breaks the law. People who know me know I have a zero tolerance law on my boat.

Hope this clears it up :wink:

Looks like at least one of my buddies will be joining us :) I'm working on getting some surface support too if we do the Poling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom