Need Wet Lens advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

togatown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a few years of shooting mediocre underwater video with just a Gopro, I've decide to up my game to the next level, while still trying to keep it fairly simple. As a result, I recently got a great deal on a used Canon G16 and an underwater housing. My interest is in photographing larger mammals such as rays,turtles and sharks. I am not so interested in macro shooting small images up close, and don't want to carry around more than one lens.

As a result, I am thinking of getting a wide angle wet lens and want to ask some of the experienced photographers on the forum, if something like this would work with my housing/camera?

Fisheye Wide Angle Lens 67mm Shade Underwater Dome, free shipping from USA | eBay

Here is a photo of the housing, as it has 67mm threads on the lens casing.

Attachments

• Camera housing.JPG
    Camera housing.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 94
It will fit assuming your housing has a 67mm thread on the port and should remove the flat port magnification factor meaning you will be 28mm at the wide end instead of about 36mm that you have through a flat port. The lens you link is just a dome with no wide angle optics as far as I can tell, the description is rather vague.

The problem is 28mm is not very wide, I would think you should aim for at least 100 deg field of view. I would suggest talking to the UW camera specialty stores who have a variety of wet wide options available like this one: Dyron Super Wide Angle Lens If you are talking big animals you need to be very wide so you can be close enough for a decent image.

It will fit assuming your housing has a 67mm thread on the port and should remove the flat port magnification factor meaning you will be 28mm at the wide end instead of about 36mm that you have through a flat port. The lens you link is just a dome with no wide angle optics as far as I can tell, the description is rather vague.

The problem is 28mm is not very wide, I would think you should aim for at least 100 deg field of view. I would suggest talking to the UW camera specialty stores who have a variety of wet wide options available like this one: Dyron Super Wide Angle Lens If you are talking big animals you need to be very wide so you can be close enough for a decent image.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion!

Has anyone got any info on comparison of Fantasea UWL-09F and Kraken KRL-01?

Back
Top Bottom