Need to find a good liveaboard option for Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys!

Well my fiancé and I are well in place in Tianjin. Though we've adjusted to our China life, the dive lull is already starting to hurt. It turns out that the high cost of flying has made a trip to Europe, the USA, or Australia out of the question for that merry time of the year.

Knowing we will be very much hurting for a dip in the blue by then, we are opting for a shorter trip to Thailand, Phuket. We’d like a live-aboard that runs 5 day-6 night options and perhaps 6 day-6 night trips as well.

We know we have to pay somewhere in the 1,000 US range per per, but with the wedding coming in July 2009, we’d like to have 15-20 dives and the elusive good deal as well.

Any help from the divers in the know on SB would be greatly appreciated. If you know of a good op that might have what we need, please let us know!

Cheers!

1000 US$ for 6 days... There might be some cheaper options, but all the boats I know that have 6 day trips (Colona 6, Mermaid II, Pawara, Giamani, Nautica) are all over that. Giamani starts at 42,000 Baht (about 1250 U$). Pawara around 1300 U$, Mermaid II from about 1450 U$. There are cheaper boats but all do 4 day trips. You could do a 4 day and combine with something like a Phi Phi Islands overnight trip to make 6 days diving. if choosing a cheaper boat you can probably just about get under 1000 U$ for that.

Thailand Liveaboards

Happy Diving!

Jamie

If you're coming in December the most active area is Khao Lak on that side of Thailand. Pucket is great for day trips and liveaboard but the small town of Khao Lak has the best variety of liveaboards to the Similan Islands which i imagine is where you want to dive.

Boats to the Similans leave from either Khao Lak or Phuket. From Phuket (not Pucket) you can board all trips, with transfers included.

In fact I would say there is a better variety of boats departing from Phuket than Khao Lak.. but in any case, Phuket and Khao Lak are not a million miles apart. There are a couple of Khao Lak based boats that charge a small transfer fee, and if the liveaboard departs from Phuket well, you are best to stay in Phuket or will need to get a taxi from Khao Lak on departure day.

I think it's easier for someone who doesn't know how to get around towns and just wants an easy access liveaboard to go to khao lak. There you can walk no more then 10 minutes and compare over 20 different operators.

On the other hand if you're flying into "Phuket" (thanks for the spelling help) or some other way of getting there once you get into the diving areas it's the same ease.

One thing i will say in benefit of Phuket (i prefer Pucket because ph could be pronounced as an "f") is that if you have land time you have so many more things to do, where as in Khao Lak if you're not diving there's nothing to do but go to Phuket.

i prefer Pucket because ph could be pronounced as an "f")
Yes, but that is incorrect. Ph is a P sound, spelling in Thai with the letter "Phor Samphao"...

How to Pronounce Phuket

in Khao Lak if you're not diving there's nothing to do but go to Phuket
Oh, I'll wait for a Khao Lak person to knock you back on that one!

And I'll take you up on the 20 operators in 10 minutes challenge! A nice cold beer if you can actually do that!

Yes, but that is incorrect. Ph is a P sound, spelling in Thai with the letter "Phor Samphao"...

How to Pronounce Phuket

Oh, I'll wait for a Khao Lak person to knock you back on that one!

And I'll take you up on the 20 operators in 10 minutes challenge! A nice cold beer if you can actually do that!

Ok so there's happy snapper... you so could.. start at the top an work your way down. The only obstacle is the suit makers but if you can dodge them you're on your way.

i know it's a p sound.. but if you didn't know that you would pronounce it like Phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom