need sympathy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just had to share my bad furtune with you: As previously mentioned, I lost a DC1000 in Aruba last summer (it floated away). So I bought a new DC1000 and took it to Bonaire last month, after 1 1/2 weeks I drowned it. My friend who lives in Key Largo was coming down and was able to buy ANOTHER one for me. After 1 1/2 DAYS I drowned it, too. I have run through 3 DC1000s in 7 months!!!! Now I am back to taking pictures with my old DC500, and it has lines through it. I am not blaming SeaLife, my mistakes all. SeaLife prob loves me, I've had a DC100, DC250, DC310, DC500 and now 3 DC1000s and now need another!!!

Perhaps its time to take a few minutes, sit down and really think about why you keep messing up all these cameras.

A friend of mine got fed up with flooding his P&S underwater camera rigs (three different Canons).

He bought a Panasonic Lumix TS2. Even without an UW housing, it is shockproof, "freezeproof," and waterproof to 33 fsw.

Then he bought the companion Panasonic DMW-MCFT2 UW housing that's rated to 40 meters. He figures that if there's ever a flood, the waterproof camera will still probably survive it. He really likes the setup so far.

I'm surprised that other camera manufacturers haven't put together a waterproof camera + UW housing like this. I think it would be very popular with divers.

Because I am senile and careless. Is the panasonic better than the Oly that has similiar characteristics?

Hate to switch from sealife since I'm so familiar with it.

This may be your chance to get a dslr!

If you like Sealife so much and are comfy operationwise, you should consider talking to somebody
re maintenance and handling instructions and try to recall what you may or may not have done to possibly cause the repeated flooding. If it turns out that you made some systematic mistakes in handling the cam, changing brands won't necessarily make a difference.

Is the panasonic better than the Oly that has similiar characteristics?

Hate to switch from sealife since I'm so familiar with it.
My friend said that he felt all of his Canons took better, more vivid pictures than his newer Panasonic. However, he does appreciate the piece of mind knowing that a small flood won't pose a threat to the Panasonic. Those are his only comments so far. He's only had the Panasonic for a little while.

I don't have any personal experience with either the Panasonic or the Olympus lines, so I can't provide any comparison.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Dang, so much anti-SL in the SL forum...? :shocked2:
@DandyDon: I don't think anyone was saying anything bad about SeaLife in this thread. I replied because I wanted to let him know that there was another way to address flood possibility in UW photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom