Need some NC knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdC

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Four of us are booked to dive with Discovery Thursday-Saturday. Windy predicts 5 and 6 ft waves with 5-6 sec period and 16-24 mph winds. Is it safe to assume that will be a blow out, anyone know how much is too much?

Depends a lot on the individual operation, but 5-6 at 5-6 sec interval is pretty much a blowout on the NC coast. I've had charters blown out with lesser conditions but it wasn't with Discovery. I would call Discovery to ask them if it were me, though.

Thanks Gregg, we have a couple days to see what happens. Just trying to decide if a 14 hour wait and see is worthwhile, doesn't appear so.

Rare for a forcast that far out to very accurate. Which is one reason NOAA doesn't for broadcast their long range forcast. I've been caught out both ways many times on 4-7 day commercial trips there. Particularly from now til October.

Reactions: EdC
Four of us are booked to dive with Discovery Thursday-Saturday. Windy predicts 5 and 6 ft waves with 5-6 sec period and 16-24 mph winds. Is it safe to assume that will be a blow out, anyone know how much is too much?

depends on the divers on the boat as well out there. I don't normally dive with Discovery, almost always with Atlantis but that wouldn't necessarily have it blown out. May restrict to inshore dives depending on what the weather is doing, but the weather is also highly volatile as mentioned by @100days-a-year and I would check on Tuesday to get a more accurate prediction.

Reactions: EdC
depends on the divers on the boat as well out there. I don't normally dive with Discovery, almost always with Atlantis but that wouldn't necessarily have it blown out. May restrict to inshore dives depending on what the weather is doing, but the weather is also highly volatile as mentioned by @100days-a-year and I would check on Tuesday to get a more accurate prediction.

What do you mean by “depends on the divers on the boat’?

Does anyone know if there are any shore dive spots near Beaufort? There are several large bays in the area - anything to see there?

What do you mean by “depends on the divers on the boat’?

some boats will go out in more aggressive conditions if they have experienced divers when others are blown out

Does anyone know if there are any shore dive spots near Beaufort? There are several large bays in the area - anything to see there?
Not really, shallow mud flats mainly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom