Need some insight on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a13firman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

So I'm looking to take a trip sometime in September with 2 other friends to someplace in the Caribbean for about a week of diving. Bonaire seems like a good choice as one my friends is a pretty new diver, and I've heard the shore dives in Bonaire are fairly easy dives. Would you guys agree with that? From the reviews here and on TripAdvisor, is seems like Coral Paradise Resort is a good bet and is something we were looking at.

I know airfare to Bonaire is a bit more than to some other places in the Caribbean, but does anyone have any suggestions for some sites that might be a little cheaper or better? As I said, one of my friends is fairly new to diving, so the easy shore dives may be a big plus, even with the higher airfare. Unlimited shore diving seems like a pretty good deal, but I've also heard good things about Curacao, and Turks and Caicos.

Any input is appreciated.

Welcome to the board.
Bonaire is a perfect place for easy dives but at the same time really nice dives and you can dive your rear off if you so choose. Air can be a challenge but at times you can do OK. A couple of options that are not always evident if you are trying to use sites like Yahoo is to fly a major airline to Curacao then grab a commutor over to Boniare. The commutors are Insel Air and Divi Divi. Insel also flys out of Miami and Charlotte NC, a couple of other options that are available. You must go the actual airline sited to book, they do not show up in the on line listings. Also, if you are looking at the Continential flights be sure to use the correct dates. For a Sat to Sat stay you use Fir to Sat when booking since the flight is overnight and actually leaves at just before midnight making the actual flight date one day earlier than you would think....been there screwed that up. :)

For your first time, I would suggest you consider using Buddy dive. Not that they are a lot better than anyone else but they do a complete package (room/diving/truck/breakfast) including picking you up at the airport and dropping you back off on your return. When compairing prices, be sure to compair apples to apples, often times one will include or exclude something you will want/need. For example, there is a $6.50pp/night room tax that may or may not be included in the online price, that adds a few bucks to the price. IMO, for a first timer to the island, not having to arrange anything separately, find your way to the hotel in the middle of the night or having to deal with screwed up arrangements is well worth spending a few dollars more. You can reduce their (and most other places) package rate by abour $120pp by dropping the boat dives off the package, something I suggest you do.

If you have an early morming arrival, you might want to consider booking your room for the day prior to your arrival. On our first trip to Bonaire, our room was ready at 6:30 AM when we reached the hotel, on our last trip it was not ready until 2:00 PM.

Be sure to make the mandatory dive brief the day of arrival, usually arround 9:00 AM then you can catch a nap and still get a couple of dives the first day.

We stayed at Capt Don's Habitat, and had a package that included room, shore diving, NITROX, truck and breakfast.

I recommend getting everyone certified for Nitrox, this allows you to move quickly from one dive to the next with minimum surface interval.

You can book everything yourself, but Bonaire Pros saved us a few bucks with a custom package. You can google them.

Thanks for the responses.

So in terms of value (airfare + accomodations), it seems Bonaire is a good deal, right?

Thanks for the responses.

So in terms of value (airfare + accomodations), it seems Bonaire is a good deal, right?

Short answer, YES.

Now qualified answer....

It depends, if you are after diving, diving, diving and even more diving....yes, then your price/dive value looks really good.

If on the other hand you are the type that is content with two dives per day, then other places look just as good or even better.

I have been to Bonaire twice and on average did four dives a day, sometimes up to six. You can dive pretty as much as on a liveaboard, specially if you are staying at a place on the water and where you like the house reef.

Bonaire is a great choice. We just returned from our first dive trip there and we had a GREAT time! As a matter of fact, we stayed at Coral Paradise Resort and I would seriously recommend it. If you stay with them, you will be picked up at the airport and your rental truck will already be waiting for you at the resort - it's VERY convenient.

The resort is located right next door to Capt. Don's Habitat and Buddy Dive. As part of their package you can choose to dive with either shop. We chose Buddy Dive because of the free nitrox. The accomodations were great and the owners are incredibly friendly. They provided the perfect personal touch - just the kind of place we love! As an underwater photography ADDICT, I really appreciated the electrical converters they provided in each condo. I was able to keep my batteries charged without worrying about the chargers getting fried.

Our week at Coral Paradise was fantastic. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them :D

We just dove at Captain Don's Habitat while on a cruise ship last month and we can't wait to go back and stay there for a couple of weeks. They treated us extremely well and the diving was fantastic..

Hey everyone-

So I'm looking to take a trip sometime in September with 2 other friends to someplace in the Caribbean for about a week of diving. Bonaire seems like a good choice as one my friends is a pretty new diver, and I've heard the shore dives in Bonaire are fairly easy dives. Would you guys agree with that? From the reviews here and on TripAdvisor, is seems like Coral Paradise Resort is a good bet and is something we were looking at.

I know airfare to Bonaire is a bit more than to some other places in the Caribbean, but does anyone have any suggestions for some sites that might be a little cheaper or better? As I said, one of my friends is fairly new to diving, so the easy shore dives may be a big plus, even with the higher airfare. Unlimited shore diving seems like a pretty good deal, but I've also heard good things about Curacao, and Turks and Caicos.

Any input is appreciated.
Curacao is a bigger version of Bonaire with more to see/do topside. The dive sites are also more spread out. Either island requires a vehicle to get around. The reef is fairly close off Bonaire which has means there's ironshore and coral rubble at many of the entrances. So good treaded boots are a must. It's slippery and hard to climb over - esp. at some where there's sort of an ironshore shelf just off the beach. Many have sand channels nearby so look for those. At some sites previous divers have piled up coral rubble indicating a good entry point. So that might be a factor for your new diver.

The same reef is off Curacao it's just typically a short swim out from a beach or dive dock. Many of the dive sites on Curacao have some sort of dive operator/beach operator/snack shop onshore - none of the dive sites outside of those at the resorts on Bonaire do.

The site entry pictures here: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm show it better than I can describe it.

The dives off either island are fairly easy as the water is often very clear and the reef parallels the shore. So about the only choice is direction based on current - if any.

I would pick Buddy Dive for your dive package also as they have a street-side drive thru tank pickup that's handy if you plan to do a lot of dives.

Also you'll be told this but at any of the non-resort dives don't leave anything of value in the truck - there's some theft in some areas while you're in the water. Most of the trucks are small 4-dr's so the back seat is a good place to stow your gear loose. Tanks can stay in the back and won't be touched - no operator will fill another's tanks. On Curacao we were told to hide/lock anything of value. Since we mostly dove sites with an on-site operator this wasn't an issue for us.

You'll drive more between dive sites on Curacao. Many require a 5-10 min. drive in from the main road - especially out west. Some sites on Bonaire run back to back - esp. in the south - you can see divers at 3-4 adjacent sites often. So if you're trying to do a lot of dives Bonaire is easier.

The diving is very similar - some sites it would be hard to tell which island you were on. Otoh, there's nothing like the Mushroom Forest on Bonaire. Not that it's worth picking Curacao over Bonaire for. I personally think the best single shore dive I've done on either island is Playa Kalki off Westpunt Curacao. Some of the others were just average though.

IDK if it's important but depending on where you live travel time might be a factor. We can get to Curacao by about 2pm leaving at 6am. Bonaire either requires the United red-eye through Houston or an overnight for us. As mentioned there are the regionals between Curacao and Bonaire - if you can get to CUR by about 5-6PM that's an option - but we never were able to make that work w/o an overnite on Curacao on the return. http://www.infobonaire.com/airlineinfo.html usually has current options - some of the airlines cancel flights during their slow seasons annually.

There's really no shore diving in Turks/Caicos. Except maybe off 1-2 resorts on Grand Turk - not sure. A lot of excellent wall diving however. And you'll see more sharks and other big stuff than you will off Bonaire or Curacao. It's also way more expensive than either of your other choices...

Bonaire is a good choice. Shore diving from house reefs and other spots perfect for newer divers. Diving prices should make up for airfaire differences, depending on where you are coming from. Thought I read that United is cutting back on its flights to Bon in September.

I loved Bonaire. Our shop lead a trip to the plaza resort which had a fantastic house reef in October last year. We did boat dives in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon. Night dives were great on the house reef. Salt Pier was may favorite shore dive site. Great spot for pics! The pics below are from the Salt Pier.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333579831335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333579831335.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 110
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333579857642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333579857642.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1333579880618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333579880618.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 69
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/