Need some huuuggeee fins! Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey guys,

I work for a dive/snorkel boat with a pax of around 80. As such we get quite a variety of foot sizes on board. However when it comes to the big lads we have two options

Our biggest full foot fin is a Aquanaut Stratos Size 11-12 fin, if this is too small we have a few Aquanaut Stratos open heel fins up to a ML-XL size.

Recently we have had people where even these don't fit, as such i am looking for either some full foot fins in around a size 15-16 or open heel fins in a similar size fitting.

These dont need to be fancy, so no split fins, pumps, springs, X Wing technology just very basic hard wearing types. Any ideas or information on what other dive ops are using?

Z

Yes, you can actually store the rest of your dive gear in the foot pockets of the XXL Jet Fins. They are however tall in the instep as well as long and are more suited to a boot than a wet suited foot, so it may be long enough for a size 15-16 foot, but could possibly be a little loose in the instep.

OMS Slipstreams in XXL are another option. They are a little wider, but not as tall, but again they could be a little loose in width for a wet suit booted foot.

the XL sized Power Plan Avanti has a generous foot pocket as well.

Being open heel fins, length should not be an issue with any of the above.

Personally, I think with feet that big they don't actually need fins...

Yes, you can actually store the rest of your dive gear in the foot pockets of the XXL Jet Fins. They are however tall in the instep as well as long and are more suited to a boot than a wet suited foot, so it may be long enough for a size 15-16 foot, but could possibly be a little loose in the instep.

Being open heel fins, length should not be an issue with any of the above.

Personally, I think with feet that big they don't actually need fins...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Jets would be fine for a diver, but wouldn't really want to snorkel with them... I just went from XXL Jets to XXL Hollis F1s which have a narrower pocket and fit me much better. My foot is long but not wide.

Again both of these options are fine for divers, but would only use them in a pinch for some to snorkel and they would be pricey to have more than a few pairs. Conversely, they would probably out live every fin in your stash!

The Avanti fins are probably a better "best or both worlds" type of fin but are also pricey.

My feet are sz 14. For any wet diving that i do, i use cressi frogs. Comfortable and have been using the same pair for 15 years.

For dry diving, i use a xxl jet fin. My rock boots fit perfectly in them. Spring straps are a must with them.

I know you said no springs, but the Hollis F-1's, XXL are huge...I wear a 14 and the XL F-1's, w/7mm boots still have room.....I had to send the XXL's back they were too big.....

While I do not have any recommendations other than those listed above you should be aware that using this "old school" type fins for snorkeling would be difficult. Many, if not all, divers frog kick these fins because the normal flutter kick takes a lot of muscle. When snorkeling it would be difficult, maybe impossible, for them to frog kick. Even when diving if your customers don't know the frog kick it would be difficult to teach in a short time, and they would most likely not preform it in an efficient manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom