Need some direction for a upcoming class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I have fundies coming up in September here in So Cal then somewhere between Nov of this year and Feb of next I would like to head out to High Springs and take NSS Apprentice Cave and TDI Advanced Nitrox with Capt Jim. Its been about 9 years since I traveled outside of California by plane for any diving and that was pure recreation with the wife in the Caribbean.

I have read all of Capt Jims information and I feel once I get down the letter I will call and cover any loose ends but I'm a planner. I'm just trying to figure out the plan of attack.

I will need a day to look over the area, get the tanks, shake hands with the players, move into my room, get a shakedown from Capt Jim, etc.
X amount of days for the class lets say 5.
Then 1 day of no diving before I fly back.
I need to rent a car and I am guessing I will fly into Gainsville.
Hope to stay at the Rumhouse.
I have all the gear I think I will need and will double check that with Jim before I make my way.
Will need to rent tanks.

Who has made this journey? Tips and Tricks? Food ideas? What am I missing?

Yep I could have burned up Capt Jims ear but I though this would be a good tool for others to use too.

I have a bunch of this pre-written for our students.

Here's two links to info on my site, better to post those than cut and paste, as I'm more likely to keep my own site updated as this thread ages:
https://florida.wetrocksdiving.com -- links and other useful info
https://highsprings.wetrocksdiving.com -- restaurants etc

Have fun at Fundies!

One thing right now is to plan WAAAAY ahead on rental car... nationwide shortage and all.

Getting to North Florida
High Springs is located 45 mins north of Gainesville, 1.5 hours southwest of Jacksonville, 2 hours north of Orlando/Disney, 2.5 hours north of Tampa, 4-5 hours north of good wreck/ocean diving, and 6 hours north of Miami. High Springs is convenient to Interstate-75

Gainesville Regional Airport GNV is 45 minutes (23 miles) away
Jacksonville International Airport JAX is 1 hr 30-ish minutes (85 miles) away
Orlando International Airport MCO is just over 2 hours (140 miles) away
Tampa International TPA is about 2.5 hours away

The consideration is cost vs convenience, with most students coming through Orlando or Jacksonville because of flight availability. Check both flight prices, connections, and rental car prices when deciding. Orlando has great connections and directs from many places, and often “mouse town” low prices on flights and cars, but when leaving, Orlando security can be very long process if you don’t have TSA pre-check or Clear. If you choose Orlando, have a strategy for tolls, there are quite a few between MCO and High Springs. Jacksonville is a very convenient airport, easy security, but connections might not work for your location and check rental car prices. Gainesville is super convenient, super close, but is a small regional with limited connection options.

Calling @elgoog . You made this trip out from NorCal for C1. Any tips besides to get the Ginnie Burger at Great Outdoors, because their new menu decimated the burger selection.

Thanks @mer

Appreciate it. That is excellent info.

Wish I could take 2 weeks total and get in some GUE time too. Just not sure what I would "take". Wife already thinks I have lost my marbles wanting to Cave dive... since we live in So Cal. I mentioned moving to Florida... lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: mer
Mer w great advice above.

Airport:
GNV is easy, close, and tame. Hertz and Enterprise both solid, Budget slightly slower process. If it's a popular travel weekend (admissions, spring break, college football games), you may wait 30-60min for your car because of turnabout and you picking up a car that someone dropped off just before their flight on the same plane you came in on. If you fly into MCO, bring an EZPass or expect to get one upon arrival because of the no-cash toll roads between MCO and cave country. Even with checked bag and returning rental car, I arrive with less than an hour before departure. Every now and again AAdvantage points offer reasonable flights to GNV.

Coffee:
Mayo - The Hornet Cafe surprisingly excellent
High Springs - Talented Cookie Company

Food/Beverage:
Branford - Our Place
Branford - The Gathering
Branford - China House
Mayo - Casa Frias
High Springs - High Springs Brewing (typically has a food truck)
High Springs - Alice's (breakfast)
High Springs - El Patio
High Springs - Great Outdoors

IF you can afford it time off wise, adding an extra day or two to a class trip like this is highly recommended. Mental relaxation, a day to actually enjoy your skills post class, or even a day to redo a class day in the event of something that needs extra teaching all help to justify this.

Mer w great advice above.

Airport:
GNV is easy, close, and tame. Hertz and Enterprise both solid, Budget slightly slower process. If it's a popular travel weekend (admissions, spring break, college football games), you may wait 30-60min for your car because of turnabout and you picking up a car that someone dropped off just before their flight on the same plane you came in on. If you fly into MCO, bring an EZPass or expect to get one upon arrival because of the no-cash toll roads between MCO and cave country. Even with checked bag and returning rental car, I arrive with less than an hour before departure. Every now and again AAdvantage points offer reasonable flights to GNV.

Coffee:
Mayo - The Hornet Cafe surprisingly excellent
High Springs - Talented Cookie Company

Food/Beverage:
Branford - Our Place
Branford - The Gathering
Branford - China House
Mayo - Casa Frias
High Springs - High Springs Brewing (typically has a food truck)
High Springs - Alice's (breakfast)
High Springs - El Patio
High Springs - Great Outdoors

IF you can afford it time off wise, adding an extra day or two to a class trip like this is highly recommended. Mental relaxation, a day to actually enjoy your skills post class, or even a day to redo a class day in the event of something that needs extra teaching all help to justify this.

@grantctobin Thanks!

I like the idea of an extra day.. makes sense. To show up do class only dives and not enjoy a few post class rec dives in those same caves in silly. Good idea. I will give it an extra day just in case my skill sets needs it too.

Coffee... Excellent Idea as I do love me some coffee.

also remember that during classes you often will not have time to go get food, so make sure to plan on having easy stuff from the grocery stores for breakfast, lunch, and snacks with dinner being eating out or takeout for lectures.

Beef Jerky is my friend!

oh and this is critical @Ulfhedinn
and this tracks for all divers and all classes. Find out what your instructors favorite snacks/drinks are and keep some of them in the cooler so that way when you screw up, you can try to placate them. I don't know what @Capt Jim Wyatt 's are, but with Paul Heinerth bring dark chocolate and red wine, Edd Sorenson is sour patch kids and beef jerky, @mer is prosciutto and cheese, etc etc

There will be no direct flights from Calif to G'ville. I believe the only way to get there would be a connecting flight on Silver or American Eagle, turbo prop, and they have a tendency to cancel those flight on a whim, and they are always delayed. I would fly into Orlando/Tampa/Jax and rent a car there. By the time you switch planes and fly the connector flight, you could drive. Jax to G'ville is about an hour +/-, Tampa or Orlando is 2 hours about.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom