Need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I hope this is the right place to post this, if not my apologies.

I'm dreaming of a career change to join the diving industry because its something I'm really passionate about, and would appreciate some frank advice from industry professionals.

My education and background is in software engineering, which I still enjoy. I've also done Project Management and have been involved in 2 companies (Education Services & Construction) in a management role, covering departments from Projects, Administration, HR, process improvement and accounts. I'll be 40 this year.

I guess I would love to be in a job which would involve leisure diving, especially guiding leisure dives. I also enjoy teaching very much but am genuinely concerned about the hazards of being an instructor (students shooting to the surface and going after them and suffering from DCS, and some other hazards that my instructor friends mentioned were part of the job). I also enjoy and am good at developing content for teaching, which was what I was involved in, in my previous job.

My current dream would be to own an LOB someday because it'll allow me to dive often and dive at different sites. Selling gear and stuff could be part of the plan but isn't really my passion. I'm introverted by nature, which is a shortcoming if I were to consider the job requirements of the positions I've mentioned above.

I live in SE Asia, and from speaking to several instructor friends, I'm told that being a diving instructor isn't going to pay my bills. I'm honestly hoping I could make a decent living doing what I love so would love to hear some options.

What are some possible options for me? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I'd prefer to work for an organization first to learn the ropes. Starting my own business could be another possibility somewhere down the road, but not now.

Thanks!

I'll subscribe to this thread! I've often wondered what I'm going to do when I retire from the military. I'm a tinker-er by nature, and have always dreamed of having my own little shop that would supplement my retirement. It could be anything from a locksmith shop to a full bore 4x4 shop. Recently I've been wondering if owning a small dive shop and conducting equipment inspection and repairs wouldn't be the life for me? If we found the right space, I could even see my shop as being a small "pony bottle" to my wife's "on -the-side" business which would be to have her own theatre. I would of course end up running both businesses, which is fine with me, entrepreneurship runs pretty strong in my family. My work background is of course a 20 year military career and my degree program is Leadership and Workforce Development (graduate in 2014!!!), though I do possess a mechanical mind and skilled hands through my personal interests.

Unfortunately, I have trouble believing that mom & pop dive shop's have a chance at even breaking even in our developing "Go Big or Go Home" society. Maybe I just need WhiteSands to hire me for his equipment services once he gets his business underway...

Hello if you're interested in the field of scuba diving. The options are to invest, participate or become a divemaster - instructor. Where would you be interested in pursuing your career...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom