Need Some Advice Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigbear

Reaction score
Hello guys & gals,

Im looking for some advice from experienced divers please. firstly let me make it clear i have never dived before and probally never will ,but i am trying to develop something that I hope will help divers accross the world.

I live on the south coast of the UK and we constantly news of divers surfacing to quickly and getting carted off to hospital suffering from decompression illness sometimes the diver dies, most im happy to say they most survive.

anyway, after a flash of inspiration i suddenly thought of a way i may be able cut down on this type of incident, and im currently developing a dive mask that has a very small electronic device attached to to the strap (no bigger than a large wrist watch). this device when triggered lights up 2 small red LED's situated inside the mask by his nose, that will alert the diver he is surfacing to fast.

in later incarnations this device could also monitor depth, and dive length, oxygen usage etc etc.

Really what im looking for is, Do experienced divers like yourselfs think this kinda product could work?, and would you use it if it did?

Anyother comments on the above would also be appreciated!

This Project is still in its 1st build stage at this time, so is a long way off yet.

Thanks for reading.

Just on the slim (miniscule (tiny (no smaller than that))) chance that this is not a troll..

Try doing a search on say "suunto gekko" (one of many dozens)

Sorry if someone got there before you.

D

bigbear:
Hello guys & gals,

Im looking for some advice from experienced divers please. firstly let me make it clear i have never dived before and probally never will ,but i am trying to develop something that I hope will help divers accross the world.

I live on the south coast of the UK and we constantly news of divers surfacing to quickly and getting carted off to hospital suffering from decompression illness sometimes the diver dies, most im happy to say they most survive.

anyway, after a flash of inspiration i suddenly thought of a way i may be able cut down on this type of incident, and im currently developing a dive mask that has a very small electronic device attached to to the strap (no bigger than a large wrist watch). this device when triggered lights up 2 small red LED's situated inside the mask by his nose, that will alert the diver he is surfacing to fast.

in later incarnations this device could also monitor depth, and dive length, oxygen usage etc etc.

Really what im looking for is, Do experienced divers like yourselfs think this kinda product could work?, and would you use it if it did?

Anyother comments on the above would also be appreciated!

This Project is still in its 1st build stage at this time, so is a long way off yet.

Thanks for reading.

Many people have dive computers these days and they have ascent warning beepers/flashing signals built in so if someone is ascending too fast, but still roughly in control of their bouyancy, they should be able to correct it. Most of the really serious problems occur because people lose control - sticking inflators for BCDs or drysuits is one such example. Another reason that people might come up too fast is because they run out of air and have to no matter what - better a chamber ride than breathing water right?
I suppose at the end of the day what you are suggesting would probably depend on it's cost. Dive computers are getting cheaper though, so...........

david.tolan:
Just on the slim (miniscule (tiny (no smaller than that))) chance that this is not a troll..

Try doing a search on say "suunto gekko" (one of many dozens)

Sorry if someone got there before you.

D

Troll?? whats a troll?

David, thanks for your reply, im aware of many dive watches on the market, but have not seen any product that integrates with a mask.. my idea is based around the fact a watch may not grab your attention untill you have surfaced (so being to late).

unless there is a mask already out there that does all the above?

Bigbear

Back
Top Bottom