Need Recs for T&C Hotel and Dive Ops Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddog

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the T&C in Feb with my wife (non-diver) and my 13 year-old son (new diver). We are considering the Bohio Resort to stay, on Grand Turk. I understand from reading the forums that the better diving is on Provo and that it's about an hour's ride from GT to Provo, but if that's true, we're okay with that.

Most of the posts have treated the hotels lightly. Does anyone have any words on the Bohio or recs on other hotels? We'll be looking more up-market than the normal ones one might stay at as a diver.

Also, I am working on becoming more familiar with the lay-out of where things are relative to each other, but would still appreciate it if you could help me put the pieces together by mentioning DO's near any hotel mentioned.

Thanks all

Grand Turk to Provo is about an hour.... by plane!

If you want to stay on Provo at an upscale resort, I'd look at Amanyara or The Palms. Amanyara is way off the beaten path and there might not be a lot for your son to do there but it is a super-luxury resort. The Palms is in Grace Bay and has quicker access to the busier parts of the island.

I'll plug the dive op I'm now working for and suggest Ocean Vibes. We can do hotel pick-ups from The Palms and take you directly to the boat.

Rachel

Grand Turk and Provo are two separate islands and two different destinations within the same island group. GT requires a second short flight interisland from Provo which has the big airport. If you want upscale you are going to the right place. Provo offers a ton of rental villa options as well as some verrrry upscale resorts. I have dove both locations and can highly recommend Caicos Adventrues on Provo and Oasis Divers on GT.

As to hotels on Provo a mid-level option would be the Sands. An upscale option would be either Point Grace. You might want to check air/hotel packages and work with tripadvisor to determine which resort suits you. You will find the most of the dive ops will provide pick up and drop off at your resort. The bus ride is about twenty to thirty minutes. The boat ride on Provo is 45 mins. to West Caicos and French Cay.

I've been to Provo and will be staying at the Bohio on Grand Turk this February. The flight from Provo to GT is only about 30 minutes..with a stop at Salt Cay...so it's not a big deal. I'll be going with a group of friends, and the Bohio was one of the few hotels large enough to easily accommodate a group of 12 people. That, plus its beautiful beach area, good on-site dive op, close proximity to wall diving, and excellent restaurant, made the choice easy for me. It is away from town, so a couple of rental cars will be a must for us.

The local diving on Provo all seems to be centered around Grace Bay which, at least to me, seemed pretty boring with marginal visibility. Luckily, Grace Bay is typically used only as a second, shallow dive and the DM's will try to find the better areas to dive. The really good dive sites are all a long boat ride away, with Northwest Point being a popular area to dive. The diving away from Provo was stunning, with excellent viz and impressive coral stands, walls, and unusual natural topography, as well as a good variety of marine life. I was there during the whale migration season and even managed some very close views of humpbacks...from the boat. During the winter, the water can be very rough, and I did encounter some awful conditions on the 45+ minute boat rides, including several water spouts.

I haven't been to GT yet but, from all my research, it seems to offer excellent wall diving as well as easier access to some of the sites that are a 45 minutes to one hour trip from Provo. For me at least, looking forward to early departures and long boat rides in rough seas every morning grew very old very quickly. I'm looking forward to 5 minute rides out to the wall on GT, with an occasional long trip thrown in.

As far as the Bohio, the rates were good and Kelly, one of the owners, was a pleasure to deal with during my research and booking. The owners all dive, and are often on the dive boats with the guests. They have a nice catamaran, their own compressors and storage area, and provide Nitrox and DPV's for an extra charge. The hotel restaurant is considered to be the finest on the island, albeit expensive. So, on paper at least, Bohio seems to be a good choice. I will be able to provide a more realistic appraisal after I get back from my February trip ... hopefully both the diving and the Bohio will meet my expectations.

Just to add my 0.02$, for what it is worth. The diving around Provo, wasn't all that great. It gets a bit better if you make it out to Northwest point. And it becomes Great if you can make it out to West caicos and places like french cay!!! Definetly find out where your dive op will be taking you before choosing! I'd gladly return for diving west caicos, but not for Provo or Northwest point!

I've never been to Grand turk, but from what I've read the diving was better than Provo... maybe some can confirm/negate this?

Just trying to help!:coffee:

Thanks all. Given the non-diving staus of my wife, we've opted to go to Grand Cayman this trip. I'm cominh back with my son alone to GT later!

saholz:
I haven't been to GT yet but, from all my research, it seems to offer excellent wall diving as well as easier access to some of the sites that are a 45 minutes to one hour trip from Provo.
To clarify this - GT does not have easier access to the sites an hour from Provo, it is not the same sites. If you are staying on Provo yes the better diving is around an hour boat trip away but this is at places like West Caicos and French Cay. They don't run dive boats from Provo to GT, not sure how long that would take.

All of our diving recently has been to West Caicos or Northwest Point. The Grace Bay sites are more popular during the summer because of the easier access. From our dock on the south side, WC is about a 1/2 hour ride on our boats.

R

Diving around Provo all depends on who you dive with. If you use an op on the north side or one asdsociated with an all-inclusive then you will generally be diving Northwest Point (good) and Grace Bay (average to below average). You will probably come away saying Provo diving is average to good. If you use an op like Caicos Adventures you will only be diving the best Provo has to offer (West Caicos and French Cay). You will likely come away saying Provo diving is very good to excellent. Its all in the planning.

The boat rides can be long to get to West Caicos or French Cay (45 mins.). Thats why Caicos Adventures is the choice of many. They run a huge twin hull dive boat that is probably the best dive platform I have ever been on. It provides a smoother ride than a mono hull designed traditional dive boat.

Be aware that there is not a lot to do on Grand Turk. If your wife doesn't dive she may be bored/unhappy. No shopping, no nightlife, limited choices for dinners, etc. She may be happier on Provo. She may not be happy when you are gone from 8:00 a.m. until mid-afternoon when you are diving though. That is one advantage of GT - the boat rides are generally 10-15 minutes tops and you can do your dive interval whereever the wife wants to meet you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom