Need opinions and on two versions of mounts for video lights, to use with Hero 3+...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bordiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everybody! I´ll dive in two weeks, and I´m assembling a video mount. I´ll use two modified chinese flashlights as videolights. I already modded one. This weekend I´ll mod the other one (remove the reflector). But I have two options to use underwater. I´d like to know what to you guys who already dove and filmed underwater think it´s the best in overall use underwater. I´ll use a pole too for self-filming or close up-s, but without lights then. But when using lights, I have this options.

This one, is a macro rig for DSLRS. The arms are flexible, but rigid at the same time, and I can adapt a tripod-like screw-like way of attaching the lights to the mount. I have no place to hold my hands to it yet, and I have the flexibility of pointing the lights anywhere I can. I just don´t know if it´s something good or bad. If it would be better to have the lights in a more rigid way...What do you think of this way?

IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3267.jpg

This other is a PVC diy mount. The lights are more rigidly attached to it, but I can adjust the tilting vertically and horizontally also. I can hold to it right on the pvc under the lights. It´s not finished yet, I´ll reduce the lenght of the central PVC where it connects to both lights, so it´ll be a little but more compact. The GOPRO will be on it´s center, where there are those two black dots. I´ll assemble some screw to use a tripod way of connecting the GOPRO to the pvc...

This way it looks more rigid, like one piece only. Doesn´t shake at all, seems more firm. I kind of like it more, but I still have to test both in a pool first....

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

What do you guys think? Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!

No one has any thoughts about it? Good or bad?

Anything related to backscatter, light positioning?

What type of lights did you use on the bottom mount? I think they both look great, since the fact I cannot afford a light after spending ~ $500 on gopro gear, cases, SD cards, the works

No one has any thoughts about it? Good or bad?

Anything related to backscatter, light positioning?
Hi, I would like to say that I really like the second version. It looks like it will be very sturdy and stable. You did a very nice job on it. I am working on a neutrally buoyant tray I need to dial in the weight balance (counter weights) on it and also perform a pool test. I will probably post this neutrally buoyant tray and how you can make one yourself,if it performs well.!!! In the mean time , try out your tray and let us know how it performed , perhaps you can share your video with everyone.

Second version is the best I believe. You need some rigid to hold to to get the steadiest shots.
You might even need wider arms for the lights for wideangle shots to reduce backscatter. I'd probably put the flexarms on the PVC-mount, and you can easily adjust the lights depending what you are filming.

Hi everyone! I'll dive in 3 or 4 days, so this is the final setup... Nothing glued, just firmly pressed onto each other's ends. Both flashlights (chinese ones, LM 4000 120m 3 leds, with the reflectors removed and the leds positioned almost touching the glass) can tilt horizontally and vertically... To acquire neutral buoyancy, I used some... Spaghetti... That we use to float in the pool... They're a meter long. I
Cut the pieces to the lenght I want. I positioned these orange float things in this way so that the whole setup is always paralel to the ground....

Would backscatter still be a problem??

he4atahe.jpg

2ume9aha.jpg

bytumuvy.jpg

What do you guys think???

Thanks!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Anyone?
Would I need to use tie-wraps over the pieces of foam? Does this ordinary pool noodle foam work till 20-30 metres?

Where did you get the lights?

Where did you get the lights?

Hi! I got on ebay a pair of Chinese 3 led 120m underwater flashlights... But I removed the reflector of both. Will test at sea maybe in two, three days...

---------- Post added May 21st, 2014 at 11:23 PM ----------

I like your designs. Where did you get those light clamps and how did you mount/fastened them to the locline flex arms?

Well.. The Flexarms are part of an ebay dslr macro shooting setup, costs around 25 dollars wth both arms. In the end of each arm, there's a standard 1/4 flash threaded connector...

I got a cylinder of nylon or delrin and tapped both ends to 1/4 thread.
One end fits the connection on the tip of each arm. The other end connects to a 1/4 screw that is glued with acrylic resin through the clamp.

The clamp itself is a pvc
Part used to fix the pvc tube to a wall... I'll post pictures later!

Back
Top Bottom