need new doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swedish diver

Registered
Reaction score
Right now i've got 6 l HP steel doubles. However, I do not really like them. First of all because they are HP, secondly becase they are too low capacity (i.e. when i dive other than EAN21 I do not like filling them more than LP anyway).

Now the tricky part. I want new doubles. I dive dry (without exceptions) and am concidering double 10 liters (LP). However, I'm not certain if I want the aluminum or steel. First of all, what is the weight difference, filled on land, and filled / empty in water. Secondly, which tank last longest (the aluminum should not rust as do the steel, right?).

If I get steel, should they be painted or galvanized?

Oh, I should also add: I dive in salt water (1.5%).

Regards

/Kristian

Hi there fellow countryman,

If you are planning on diving a bigger set of doubles, the most commonly used in Sweden is a double LP Faber 15L setup with Midland Manifolds. Some also use long 12 L setups (långtolvor) They will probably run you about 8 000 sek, mounted and ready to dive.
Do not buy any tanks from abroad, since you will not be allowed to fill them at your LDS due to Swedish regulations.

Talk to Tord Henriksson at Oceanic Dykskola
Telefon: 08-441 59 59 (hälsa från Anders Jelveus) or
Tordan at TVM Divelop 08-716 50 90 both are situated in Stockholm but will ship anywhere.

Their websites are: www.oceanic.se/ and www.tvm-divelop.com

Good luck

Sincerely

Anders :)

Tackar!

I was actually concidering the 'långtolvs' : ) but then I found the LP 104 and HP 80. They are pretty nice tanks, and I like the idea of galvanized steel instead of painted. However, I'll talk to Tord about it first, maybe also consult the scandinavian fraction of ANDI - I know that Ronny Lindskog who is member of the staff uses galvanized ones...

Hälsningar / Regards

Kristian

Tord at Oceanic Dykskola is back from vacation on Monday.

If you end up buing your tanks elsewhere, just make sure that the tanks you buy are cleared for swedish use. I know some people who bought double setups of PST 104 from USA, due to their good balance in the water, but they have their own compressors and storage tanks for different gas blends. They are also experienced technical divers. Most technical divers I have talked to over there however uses the double 15L configuration with the english Midland manifold.

A regular LDS would not fill a tank that is not cleared for use in Sweden. It would be against regulations, and their insurance would probably not cover.
Normally the only tanks cleared for fills in Sweden are bought in Sweden. They have a seal (crown) imprinted on the tank itself that the LDS look for before a fill (as well as hydro dates).

The long Faber 12 L tanks are popular since they are not as "fat" as the 15 L/98cf. They are however three liters less per tank (6 L) compared to the 15 L.

Rust is not the same issue when diving in Sweden, at least if you dive in the Baltic sea, since the saltlevels are very moderate.

If you want Galvanized tanks, you should speak to Tordan at TVM Divelop. He has galvanized his own tanks, and he probably offers that service for others as well. As a matter of fact, he can make just about anything when it comes to equipment. If he dosen't have it, he will make it. If it is not previously made, he will invent it. He is an amazing fellow. The quality of his work is absolute first class. I sure miss his quality work now that I live abroad.
Oceanic Dykskola has a close working relationship with Tordan.
Again, Tord Henriksson at Oceanic has all the info about that.

Good luck with your new set of doubles

Sincerely

Anders :)

Back
Top Bottom