Need mask for wide face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have someone grinding me prescripton lenses for my mask as we speak. Which leads me to the next question (actually 2). Has anybody ever used this guy RX masks Leonard Maggiore or something in Queens NY if so what kind of result? Also I have an extremely hard time finding a mask that seals properly on my face. I have a wide face with chubby cheeks and get these creases next to my eyes at times depending on my facial expression or position. I have one mask that seals real good and I'm leary to let anyone mess with it(installing lenses) it's not marked with a name and the lds that I bought it at is out of business. I've been to all the LDS's and try on masks which seem to pass the sniff test but in actual use leak like sieves.I now own no fewer than 4 masks 3 of which I can't use. If someone had a similar problem or knows how to fix it please help!!! Thanks, Ed:06:

First, it is often tough to find that mask with the perfect fit-just have to keep lookin. Secondly, I went the prescript. mask route then switched to disposable contacts. Contacts are great-and you can even see when you take your mask off-a helpful feature.

Thanks rap, As far as the contacts I am such a bad flincher that I can't even stand watching someone else put them in!!

Gotcha. Well, when I had standard lenses replaced with prescript lenses it was no big deal. My LDS just popped out the old and popped in the new. I was surprised how inexpensive it was. I think I paid around $80 for everything-not bad considering I pay over $200.00 for my regular glasses! Of course cost also depends on what type of mask.

Regarding fit, I deal with my LDS. They have a great return policy and it always takes a few tries to find the right one.

Good Luck

I have an Apollo Bio mask that is super wide with great field of vision that is doing me no good. You're welcome to try it out. I'm in lower Manhattan and prefer to keep it that way. Also, I'm always looking for a better steel guy.

ES, try the Cressi Big Eyes. I just gave one away because it would not fit my northern European face. I believe the Big Eyes is designed for a large man with wide or high cheek bones.

Wow Thanks Evad that is very generous of you! I actually just added another mask to my collection a Mares x-vision and drove all the way out to ridgewood to deliver it to an optician who claims he invented rx lenses for diving masks30 years ago. It was all in a rush because I am going away in 10 days and it was a last minute decision. It sealed real good in the dive shop but if it leaks profusely in the water I may take you up on that offer. Hell I may take you up on it anyways maybe I'll start collecting these things it wouldn't hurt to have a back-up. Ed

I have a round face and too found maks to be quite an ordeal. i finally broke down and got the lasik surgery for my vision. Before I had lenses ground into an old pair of scubapro (no longer made). I wore that mask faithyfully until it got crushed on an outing.

I now use an Aqualung Techisub with a neoprene strap cover to hold it firmly in place. This is good for my cold water dives with a hood and my warm water dives with just my braid. Yes, I too had masks that passed the sniff test, but found out that the strap was slipping in the back when my hair got wet. I'd recommend the neoprene cover if you have long hair or really thick haiir. I found that having the straps too tight on my head can be just as much a nuisance as too loose.

Back
Top Bottom