Need lift bag recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I am constantly finding anchors in my area lakes and it is sometimes a PITA to swim them up, so I was wondering if a small lift bag might be a good thing to have for this, and if so, what your recommendations be? Most of the stuff I find is in the 8-15 pound range, but occasionally I do find bigger ones.
Thanks!

get a small lift bag and send up the anchor line... not the anchor...

if there is no anchor line get out your spool and use that line...

50# working load not enough use the spool line and bag to mark the anchor and come back with rope... an anchor that size is worth retrieval...

I've used small trash bags and 100# line for small FW anchors and other small treasures that are a pita to carry. I send up the bags as a marker & come back with the boat after the dive to collect the goodies.

But if you've gotta have a bag....

Check out the OMS 6' SMB or the Dive-Rite 50#/100#. Carter also makes a good liftbag.

One advantage of the OMS SMB is that you can also use it for your decompression hangs when you get to that level of diving.

You can use the DR bags for this, but they are not as simple to deploy for that purpose.

I like Pugs idea about using the reel, however I must in that case ask, what kind of reel would be a good one to get, and what other uses does t have in rec diving? I understand the usage of reels in wreck diving and cave diving. Also, I overheard a couple of the local tech divers at the lake the other day talking about going to a deep and dark part of the lake and using their reels to do arc and circle dives, does anyone know what this means? I would have asked one of them but they always tell us we have no business doing what they are doing and are not willing to explain anything. The funny thing is that they are known by most of the local divers as "Toro" and "Troy-Built" because they are always stirring up the bottom practicing their supposed not silting kicks.

Originally posted by JT2
The funny thing is that they are known by most of the local divers as "Toro" and "Troy-Built" because they are always stirring up the bottom practicing their supposed not silting kicks.

Now that is funny!!!! :rofL: :haha: :gjoker:

Originally posted by JT2
I like Pugs idea about using the reel, however I must in that case ask, what kind of reel would be a good one to get, and what other uses does t have in rec diving?
Get spool from www.canadianextreme.ca or for more $$ get the same thing from Halcyon... small and compact the are useful for what I have already described as well as shooting a bag in areas with boats before you ascend.

Or buy my extra OMS reel (new) and use it to mark out a course in low viz.

I use a 1" wide but deep plastic fishing line spool. Epoxy a couple lead weights ( found near the anchors) in the center to keep it negative. Holds over 100' ft of line. Works just fine for marking treasures & hauling them up at the end of the dive.

I think I'd be a little hesitant to swim away from my $60.00 DSMB if I used it to mark a $10.00 anchor.

Good ideas for cheap solutions...
I wouldn't want to depend on that stuff for the deco dives...
But it sounds like the ticket for a little project we want to do...
Mapping a local reef system in 60 fsw with our scooters...
And 10~20' viz...

We'll number the bags and keep a log in our wetnotes.

A friend of mine works in a machine shop, and had a good deal of extra stock of Delrin after a job he did......and he remembered that I said that some equipment in diving was made out of it.....so he asked me if he could make anything out of the extra stock.. I took him a spool, and within a few hours he had made over 50 of 'em with the extra stock he had.. He gave me 5 of 'em for letting him use the spool as a template, kept 10 for himself, and sold the rest to a local shop and made a killing.. They sold them all within a week, at a bit over half the price of the Halcyon spool.

If you know somebody with access to a machine shop, and knows how to program the mills.......buy a piece of Delrin and have him make you a bunch of 'em..

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom