Need ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on the mother of all galleries (300+ photos) from my Bahamas trip.

Is there a good online resource for fish/coral life identification online? There's some things I need help identifying (either never found out what they were or forgot).

Here's one of them...

tube2.jpg

tubered2.jpg

Thanks,

AD

Not much help, I'm afraid. They are colonial tunicates (you can tell by the two chambers), but apart from that...

Tuni's are notoriously difficult to identify (a bit like encrusting sponges and the like)... you could try Distaplia occidentalis for the bottom one - but it's a big guess. The top one could be a kind of painted tunicate? But I really have no idea. I never got the hang of them, even after spending eight weeks on an expedition identifying them!

Painted Tunicate and Mangrove Tunicate, but like Noodlefish, I'm not sure.

Hello,

AAHHH yes the coral ID stuff. :) well there's a *VERY* good site that I would recomend you visit, that's www.reefs.org Or just drop on irc to their channel (on the web page) at xnet's server and the channel is #reefs. If you want an id and any info about reef's these are your guys. If it can be answered they can do it.

Also note that the 'common name' varies according to who/where/etc. and to get a proper id you should use the latin name.

Ed

Clavelina Robusta

ClavelinaRobusta.jpg

Mangrove Tunicates

MangroveTunicates.jpg

Not sure - very difficult to ID as there are so many variations

Back
Top Bottom