Need help with undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwiazda79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there folks,

Could anyone help me with deciding what undergarment should I get?
I went through this forum but didn’t find what I am looking for.

I need to get 2 of them.
I am waiting for my Santi E Motion Plus to arrive and cannot decide which undergarment will be better for me. I dive mostly in Ireland, water temp here is 9-16°C (48-60F). Would Santi Flex 190 will be warm enough for that, I get cold quick. Would Bare or No Gravity be a better choice?

Second one I need for my partner, she just got neoprene OThree drysuit, would Flex 190 be a good choice for it?

Thank you :)

One piece undersuits don’t fit everyone. Layers do and can be adjusted and are easier to wash and dry. You can substitute items if they’re wet or soiled.

I use Fourth Element layers. Very effective in a wide range of temperatures.

There isn’t a one size fits all answer to this. People have very different cold tolerances. What isn’t enough for one person may be way too hot for another.

It also depends on what you are doing while diving, I want less insulation if I‘m hunting in current than if I’m doing a sight seeing drift.

I agree with the previous poster layers give you the lost flexibility. If you have a good lds you might be able to test out some options on a dive.

With a onesie I tend to prefer thinner as I can vary the weight of my base layer to conditions. Sometimes I just dive in the based layer (crushed neo suit). My brother has a thicker neoprene suit and he dives thick thermals all the time.

For me personally the 190 would be way too cold in those temperatures. I prefer my Santi BZ400 for dives in 9-16 °C water. Below 10 I even consider taking my heated gloves and vest but that is just me :wink:.

Bought a 190 earlier this year for the summer months but I think I haven't even used it 10 times. Might use it when I go cave diving in Mexico.

There's so many variables that go into this. Cold tolerances, suit material, surface temps, multiple dives?

I dive a 6.5mm crushed neo suit (not as nice as OThree, or so I've heard). I have a 4th element Arctic 2 piece for anything colder than 60F or so, but if surface temps are cooler I'll use it sooner. I have 250gsm Marino wool layer that I really like that I wear for anything above 65F. I'd like to get some thicker marino wool (like 400gsm) to wear in between.

I have a buddy who wears thinner undergarments than me in a trilam suit.... I think he's a polar bear, lol.

4th Element makes good stuff, Marino wool is mentioned a lot on here and I've been happy with it. With both layers I'm pretty comfortable in 39F for 60-70 minutes. My hands get colder faster than the rest of me, and that's in dry gloves. No experience with the Santi stuff.

For me personally the 190 would be way too cold in those temperatures. I prefer my Santi BZ400 for dives in 9-16 °C water. Below 10 I even consider taking my heated gloves and vest but that is just me :wink:.

Bought a 190 earlier this year for the summer months but I think I haven't even used it 10 times. Might use it when I go cave diving in Mexico.

My cold tolerance is similar. I usually dive my Santi BZ200 in 72F water (Florida caves), and while it feels too warm at first, by the end of the dive I'm glad I'm not wearing less, and my dives are under one hour. Santi did not develop the Flex 190 until after I had already bought my BZ200, but if the Flex 190 had been available I would have bought that instead.

The one trip I took to dive in 54-60F water, I layered a wool baselayer under the BZ200 and I was still cold. If I were regularly doing dives in 48-60F water, I would opt for the Flex 360 or the BZ400.

I've tried a million undersuits. 2 piece always fit better for me, and anything Fourth Element is hard to beat

Hello there folks,

Could anyone help me with deciding what undergarment should I get?
I went through this forum but didn’t find what I am looking for.

I need to get 2 of them.
I am waiting for my Santi E Motion Plus to arrive and cannot decide which undergarment will be better for me. I dive mostly in Ireland, water temp here is 9-16°C (48-60F). Would Santi Flex 190 will be warm enough for that, I get cold quick. Would Bare or No Gravity be a better choice?

Second one I need for my partner, she just got neoprene OThree drysuit, would Flex 190 be a good choice for it?

Thank you :)
You did not describe what kind of diving you do. How long , deco/no deco, scooter/no scooter

For an under hour no scooter dive I use 200gram full piece with 200g jacket. For scooter or longer dives I use BZ400

Thanks y’all for the comments,

We do boat/shore dives, 45-60min each, no scooter.

I understand that two piece undergarment fits better but with so many size options in Santi it looks easy to get my size.

I just looked into 4th Element,
Would you rather have Santi 360 or 4th Element Halo 3D?

Santi 360 over a Halo...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom