Need Help With This Photo (Green Cast)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been working with this photo I took in Bora Bora, and just can't get enough green cast out of it without losing the colors of the fire dartfish. Can anyone help?

Fire Dartfish.jpg

Hi there. I did this with my phone and hope it helps. You need to offset the green with Magenta, then the blue with yellow. Curves is great for color enhancing. On my phone I use picsart or aviary, otherwise photoshop.

fishEdit.jpg

Last edited:
Fire Dartfish-1.jpg I did this in lightroom using the coral as a neutral selection.

Did you shoot this RAW by chance? Shooting RAW if you camera is capable gives you much more ability to make these adjustments.
If the color of the fish is too close to the color cast of the water though it will be hard to make the necessary adjustment in the computer. It would be better to shoot with a strobe so you can get back some of the natural colors in the light.

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do! This is an older shot, before I bought my strobe. All I had was the flash from my Canon G-11. I didn't shoot it in RAW. Those little guys were so quick, I was lucky to get any shot! LOL

---------- Post added November 8th, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

View attachment 170537 I did this in lightroom using the coral as a neutral selection.

Did you shoot this RAW by chance? Shooting RAW if you camera is capable gives you much more ability to make these adjustments.
If the color of the fish is too close to the color cast of the water though it will be hard to make the necessary adjustment in the computer. It would be better to shoot with a strobe so you can get back some of the natural colors in the light.

Could you please tell me how you did this? I've never used Lightroom before and am a bit confused by it. I've been working with Photoshop Elements 8.0. Thanks!

Not sure if this is better than Wabbit's - it pops a little more but the filter I use makes everything slightly bleaker looking:

Fire Dartfish.jpg

Steps using Photoshop:

Applied the Bring Back the Reds filter. If you don't have it, PM an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. You add it to your Photoshop Plug-ins folder.

In Hue/Saturation in the Adjustments menu decrease the Saturation to -20 and increase the Lightness to +10 or +15 - don't remember which I chose.

Last click Equalize in the Adjustments menu. Seemed to make the fish slightly stand out more. I don't actually know what Equalize does.

Edit: Now that I compare it, I probably shouldn't have decreased the Saturation.

Not sure if this is better than Wabbit's - it pops a little more but the filter I use makes everything slightly bleaker looking:

View attachment 170568

Steps using Photoshop:

Applied the Bring Back the Reds filter. If you don't have it, PM an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. You add it to your Photoshop Plug-ins folder.

In Hue/Saturation in the Adjustments menu decrease the Saturation to -20 and increase the Lightness to +10 or +15 - don't remember which I chose.

Last click Equalize in the Adjustments menu. Seemed to make the fish slightly stand out more. I don't actually know what Equalize does.

Edit: Now that I compare it, I probably shouldn't have decreased the Saturation.

Thanks, I don't have that filter, I'll PM you. I wish I could put Lightroom on my laptop, but it's Vista and the new version requires Windows 8 or higher.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

Check out my instructional for Photoshop underwater photo editing:

5 Minute Photoshop Edit | Underwater Photography | Techniques

I'd recommend making use of channel mixer, as the primary recourse.

I watched your video last week, but I'm still not certain what the channel mixer is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom