Need Help with Slider Switch on Sola 2000S/F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The slider switch on my Sola 2000S/F was becoming harder and harder to move, so I called back to my LDS for advice on it. (I am on Little Cayman Island all winter, so it's not easy for me to take the light in for service.) I was told to soak it in hot water to try to remove some of the salts, but that didn't help at all. Finally it got to the point that moving the slider to the rear--which is how you toggle between spot and flood--had no effect at all. That meant the light was only working in flood mode. So yesterday I took the slider switch cover off the light to try to clean it. That was an "interesting" experience...

It took me about 3 hours to figure how to reassemble the switch unit and I'm still not sure I have it right. I'm a certified reg repair tech on a whole bunch of different brands, so usually I can figure this kind of stuff out. But I don't have any diagrams on the Sola and when I called my LDS yesterday they couldn't help. After reassembling the light, it's in the same state it was before I went to work on it. The slider switch moves more easily, but it still does nothing when I move it to the rear. To be honest, I haven't figured out how the rear position works.

In the rear, there is an assembly consisting of a spring, a metal plunger, an O-ring, and a small rectangular plastic plate. When I took the slider cover off, the spring pushed these parts all over my workbench before I could note the sequence in which they are assembled. What I have right now is spring down into the hole, O-ring on top of the metal plunger, then plastic plate at the top of the assembly held in place by the slider cover. Is this correct? If so, why can't I go into spot mode?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom