Need help with OC1 O ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
While getting ready for a dive trip I was checking to be sure I had backup batteries and O rings for various computers. I realized I had nothing identified as being for the OC1, so I looked online to see about ordering.

I checked all the usual suspects and even the Oceanic website and no one has an OC1 battery kit for sale. I am not really concerned about the battery; I can pick that up easily enough, but I would like to have a replacement O ring available just in case, and no one has one for sale.

Does anyone know if the O ring for the OC1 is the same as for any of the other Oceanic computers? And, if not, where I could find one for the OC1?

Thank you

It's not the same size as there other computers. Since their website says TBD I would call them.

Well, crap.

I decided NCadiver was right and called.

The answer I got is that Oceanic has changed its mind about this being a user replaceable battery and is not planning on selling battery kits (the O ring). One should send the computer in and get an $85.00 battery change.

I am sad, because I have avoided ever buying a computer without a user replaceable battery as I think spending $50.00-$100.00 year to replace batteries is nuts and I like the idea that if on a dive trip the battery becomes low, you can replace it, instead of simply lamenting that you forgot to get it serviced before your trip.

Now, their explanation is not wholly unreasonable; on the OC1, unlike their other computers, the battery compartment is not isolated from the computer and if one improperly replaces the computer back, the computer could flood. So, Oceanic has decided to treat it as non-user replaceable.

I suppose I could try and figure out the correct size and just buy an O ring elsewhere and do my own battery changes. The 2450 battery is not exactly hard to find.

But, this was not what I wanted to hear.

Interesting, jd. My OC1 was displaying the low battery icon and I wanted to rectify this before my trip later this week. I did the exact same thing you did - called Oceanic to verify that I wouldn't screw things up doing the battery change and I wanted to buy the battery & O ring combo from them so I could be sure it fits. To make a long story short, the Oceanic Rep I spoke with said the battery replacement is something I could do, sold me the correct battery / o-ring kit & gave me a a few tips on correct reassembly, proper amount of silicone on the o-ring, etc. A piece of cake !

John

A cheaper option for the Oceanic OC1 kit is the guy on ebay that sells almost any dive computer kit. His name is battastic. The OC1 kit cost around $10 and the only difference with the original Oceanic kit is that lacks the 4 screws.

Funny...thread dead for 2.5 years then suddenly three response. So, I did send the watch in to Oceanic for battery and O ring change last year because no one was selling the O rings, or if they were, they were almost as expensive as sending the thing to Oceanic. Now I see people are selling the "kits" for about $10.00 so if/when I need a battery change again I will probably just do it myself. Computer is for sale so I may or may not be changing the battery again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom