Need help with an ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the past weekend, we did a couple of dives at a cruise ship pier that's being built in the Northern Gulf of California and found this. We've never seen one of these and need some help identifying it. The base is 5 - 6.5 inches wide. It's some kind of anemone. Does anyone know what it is?

-AZTinman

DSC_9680.jpg

No ID help, just reporting that I commonly see something very similar in Monterey/Carmel.

Identical size, shape, texture, but they are black in color, with the white "button".

I always wondered what they were, so hopefully I will find out here.

I'm no expert, but I'd guess it's an anemone that's folded into itself to rest (or digest food maybe?). Noticed similar behavior in the Philippines on a recent trip.

Yeah, I'm sure it's an anemone, but I'm interested in identifying the species. We haven't seen any of these previously at dive locations in the Northern Gulf of California.

I'd look for one that's opened up rather than folded on a future dive. That'd definitely make IDing them easier.

Based on what little is visible I'd say a Flower Anemone.

I'd look for one that's opened up rather than folded on a future dive. That'd definitely make IDing them easier.

Yes, it would be nice to find one that's open, but this one's the only one like this we've seen and it wasn't cooperating! (LOL) It's a new artificial reef area (cruise ship pier).

You may want to post again in a different group as well . This part is about Mexico

As the Gulf of California is in Mexico, where do you suggest it be posted?

Back
Top Bottom