Need help....what could this be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Taken in Key largo on the Benwood.

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 185
Given it's a a still photo, I can't enlarge it and that there is other blue "material" which appears to the left and below that I identify as sponge, then I would say the object in the circle is also sponge. It has a lifelike appeareance tho. I can't tell much more from the photo. Did it move, have gills or mouth that moved?

I work in a lab that does medical image processing, so I've applied some of our custom software & techniques to analyze your photo. This has revealed the animal that's hiding, which I believe to be oceanus calicus.

Attachments

• undersea.jpg
    undersea.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 123
You might want to post this in the Name that Critter forum.

Looks like a frog. But if the dark bit on top belongs to him, I'm going with something like a cowfish.

ETA: looking again, the mouth looks too big for a cowfish. Maybe CIC below is right.

Last edited:
It's so difficult to make out. Roughback batfish?

How big was it wildbill?

It was the size of a large fist. I actually did not notice it when I took the picture. My dive buddy was reviewing the pictures we both took and saw it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom