Need help seeing camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any suggestions for up close vision correction. In the last year my ability to see my camera screen and be able to set functions has gotten really bad. I have tried numerous types of glue on and stick on reader lenses but the none have been effective. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have 2 big trips coming and really really want to be able to see well enough to use my camera correctly again.

There are companies that make prescription dive masks to match your vision - have you considered one of those?

Also, depending on your housing, some manufacturers offer magnifier hoods for camera screens - for example, here's one from Fantasea, another from Nauticam; both offer dioptric adjustment.

Do you wear contacts for distance? If so you can get monovision and have one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near. It takes a bit of getting use too but I have done this for years. No more readers for me in or out if the water.

There are companies that make prescription dive masks to match your vision - have you considered one of those?

Also, depending on your housing, some manufacturers offer magnifier hoods for camera screens - for example, here's one from Fantasea, another from Nauticam; both offer dioptric adjustment.

I only need reading correction.
Do you wear contacts for distance? If so you can get monovision and have one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near. It takes a bit of getting use too but I have done this for years. No more readers for me in or out if the water.
Also I went in to a local vison store to see about getting contacts for reading and she told me you cant wear contacts underwater??

I only need reading correction.

Also I went in to a local vison store to see about getting contacts for reading and she told me you cant wear contacts underwater??

Underwater without a mask it's possible to dislodge a contact... I wear contacts for every dive with a mask , it's very common for many divers.

^^^This.

My wife does this and before she quit diving (due to different issue), she wore her contacts without any problems. Okayed by the 2 different optometrists she saw since she began diving.

I on the other hand, am nearsighted with an astigmatism. Although my vision has slightly changed through the years, I use the same mask and prescription lenses from when I started diving in 1998. Tried changing them once about 8 years ago but there was distortion in everything I looked at, so kept what I had.

Hope you find a fix. Can't imagine not being able to see clearly underwater.

One big caveat. Contacts these days usually means soft contacts, which means permeable contacts, which means the "protein soup" of the ocean is going to contaminate them and get lodged in them. And since you can get some nasty problems (including amoebic infections in fresh water) that way, by all means wear the contacts but use some discretion about rinsing out your eyes and cleaning the contacts properly that same day. I wouldn't worry about a couple of hours or a longer day, but the folks who leave them in for a week at a time, could get a rude surprise.

Back
Top Bottom