Need Help Planning: Phuket Oct 31, Khao Lak Nov 1, 2, & 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitannia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Fellow Divers!

I am finding myself overwhelmed with all the beautiful dive locations in the Andaman. Where to dive and who to dive with in my short stay? I'm going to be in the area Oct 31 - Nov 3

I have one day in Phuket, where should I go?

2.5 days in Khao Lak and would love to see the similan islands or surin islands (if I could only visit one, which one?). However, I've read that it is closed during this time of year? What are your thoughts on night dives in the area? Unfortunately, I'm unable to do a liveaboard.

Any ideas on how I should best plan these few days would be great! I also don't like dive sites that are packed with divers... anything off the beaten path would be nice. Also a recommendation on a good dive operator?

I don't have alot of experience... but advanced open water certified with about 40 dives.

Thank you for your help!
D

Hey K, How nice that you'll have some time to dive here in Thailand!
Some quick answers to your questions:

1) For your one day in Phuket, Monday Oct 31, I think you should consider diving at Shark Point and Phi Phi.

2) For your two and a half days at Khao Lak, the ideal option would be to go dive at the Similans, as you have worked out for yourself already. Ideally, you'd do this aboard a live aboard because the distances from the mainland are great, and the sea conditions are not favorable for speedboat day trips to the Similans that early in the season. So unless you are with travel companions making it impossible for you to jump on a live aboard, that would be my advice. You can actually use a flexible stay live aboard option for your Similans diving, with a 3d/2n stay on board, with diving on November 1st, 2nd, and half of the 3rd, returning to the mainland in the afternoon.

3) For night diving at the Similans, you will want to be on a live aboard for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom