Need Help picking next dive destination TX to ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Coconuts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We live in San Antonio, TX. We normally dive in Cozumel and are looking to try something new. Based on airline rates some of the best prices are to Belize, Bahamas, Puerto Rico and Bonaire. We are open to feedback and other destinations ex. Panama, Turks & Caicos, Dominica...with airfare in mind. We can fly out of San Antonio, Austin or Houston. Looking to go in mid October, we enjoy top side activities as well as diving. We are not party people but like to experience the local culture and food. Some other things that would help: how far are the dive sites, boat or shore dive? Weather in October? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well... You may want to download a couple of podcasts of Scuba Radio. They were taping the show in Dominica I think the middle two weeks in July, and they are free to download. The things I remember from the shows are that the marine life in Dominica is amazing and includes whales and seahorses among numerous other things. Apparently the topside attractions are absolutely amazing.

Of course, I've heard that Belize is truly phenominal. The diving there is supposed to be some of the best in the world, but I've never been and this is obviously subject to your own tastes. One thing I do know about Belize is that English is the national language so if you're not fluent in Spanish that's a good thing.

Depending upon experience I've heard that the Caymans are excellent for the less experienced diver. I think this is based upon gentle currents and easy access, but I'm not really sure as I'm still new to the diving thing personally.

Finally, the wife and I went snorkeling in the Bahamas and I can say for absolute certain that the waters there can be amazing. I can only imagine that doing some actual dive charters would be even better than snorkeling from the beach at a private island. I was however more than a little disappointed with the topside activities.

Ooh... Finally, finally, someone here at the office mentioned Destin/Pensacola, FL. Airfare there is pretty reasonable or you might even be able to do the road trip thing if you like. I've heard that the beaches and waters around there are really gorgeous. There seems to be several dive sites within easy access from Pensacola including of course the Oriskany.

OK. I'm done.

Well if the prices are low I personally would like to go to Belize. I have been looking at them online for a couple months now and they have several nice looking dive spots. Also, they do have the "Blue Hole" that can be seen from space and is I think one of the Seven Wonders of the world! As an added benefit the national language is English so if your like me and can barely speak that let alone a different language... well that kinda makes it nice as well. So while I have never been there it is on my list of the "I want to dive there" sites.

The Black Sea is another place I would like to dive. There are supposed to be lots of really old wrecks as well as some old harbors that are under water there. Plus how many Americans go diving there? So thats another one on my list!

This thread got me curious about looking into Pensacola more. I have to say that this is starting to really stand out as an awesome value dive destination. Being only a day and a half drive by car, could make it in one really long day actually, this would be a possible 4 day weekend destination. One of the local dive shops has a list of 47 dive sites, and a handful of these are even beach accessible. A large number that are not directly beach accessible are within 10 miles, so less than an hour boat ride.

Looking at making this a real value proposition, you could do the camping thing and hit the beach dives and you are out little more than gas and food. Just sent the wife a text that I'm really wanting to do a long weekend trip to Pensacola sometime in the not too distant future. Now to just find out how the diving is there through the winter months. If it's pretty open year round, I know what I want for my birthday after Christmas. :D

Dive America. Pensacola: Oriskany: 100's of sites to chose from: Beautiful Beaches: Great Food
Air and land access is great, lots of accommodation options and very affordable.
Diving is fantastic. Over 120 charted sites to pick from, plus many more off chart sites.
Water temps are 85 surface/75 at depth.
Call or email for more info. We'd love to see you here.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

Don't go to Bonaire. It is what a Caribbean reef should look like. Might just spoil you.

Scubashawn, me and wives are heading to Belize for a week starting the 16th of October. Love to have more company. PM me for details.

Roatan would be easy to get to for you. Continental
runs a direct flight from IAH to RTB. Roatan is one
of the cheapest places to dive anywhere. Better
than Cozumel in a number of ways.

I have our annual trip to CoCo View Resort on Roatan next spring...May 14-28, 2011...either week or both!

Come join us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom