Need help on tray for Inon-D180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, this may just be my last question for this! I need help with the whole tray/arm setup to attach the Inon D-180 to my PT-015. The only other I have is that I also have an Inon WAL Type 2. So, I would need a setup that would be able to light up a wide angle shot. Thanks so much. Also, thank you for the info about which place to buy from.

Go to Yuzo's site and check out the tray and arms.

You can use a Fisheye Tray with an extra support grip on the right side. You can then add the Fisheye Carrying Top Tray which bridges across the top of the camera housing. To that you can add the lens dock for your WAL.

You can choose between the flexible arm or the ULCS arms. Either way that tray setup will allow for future addition of a second strobe if you feel the need for one.

Two things come to mind with this setup:
1. You should add a leash to the WAL and connect it to the dock.
2. It may be somewhat awkward getting your right hand between the right grip and the housing so as to work the zoom and shutter controls. I believe you cannot access them while holding the right grip.

Gilligan:
Go to Yuzo's site and check out the tray and arms.

You can use a Fisheye Tray with an extra support grip on the right side. You can then add the Fisheye Carrying Top Tray which bridges across the top of the camera housing. To that you can add the lens dock for your WAL.

You can choose between the flexible arm or the ULCS arms. Either way that tray setup will allow for future addition of a second strobe if you feel the need for one.

Two things come to mind with this setup:
1. You should add a leash to the WAL and connect it to the dock.
2. It may be somewhat awkward getting your right hand between the right grip and the housing so as to work the zoom and shutter controls. I believe you cannot access them while holding the right grip.
If you use ULCS style arms you don't need the top carrying tray to mount the Inon lens dock. It fits very neatly on the arm segment itself.
Both the grips (left and right) of the fisheye tray are customisable - you can slide them in or out according to how much gap you want between the housing and the grips.
Another tray to look at is the new ULCS digital tray. See 'What's New' at www.ulcs.com .

I've used both the Fisheye tray and the ULCS digital tray and both the Infinity flexible arms and the ULCS arms.

Both trays have the ability to add/use two handles if you wish. Both arms, although very different, are very easy to maneuver into positions and stable. I mounted my len dock on each arm via tie wraps. On the ULCS it had to be mounted in the middle of one of the arm sections which threw the weight of the lens too high for my liking. With the Infinity arm, I mount the DLD at the base of the arm, keeping the weight low. It's more comfortable to me there.

When the testing was over, I preferred the ULCS tray, mainly for the comfort of the straight round handle. I prefer the Infinity tray for three reasons; 1) there's not construction of it other than snapping it onto the tray whereas the ULCS arm has to be constructed using clamps 2) it is lighter although regular users of the ULCS disagreed 3) the price is much more affordable. An 18" (approx) length of Infinity arm is only $69 where the 5"/8" sections with needed clamps of the ULCS arm are $200+.

I bought mine from Backscatter. I'm surprised the price is still the same after 7 years.

I haven't found them anywhere else.

BTW...I use the S&S mount with my D-180, it just connects to the side, which I really like.

Dee, what tray do you use for that Inifinty arm? Did you get it from Backscatter? So am I correct in thinking if I get a tray, and then the Infinity arm, I should be ready to get wet?

Back
Top Bottom