Need Help on Computer with Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good evening. I'm in the market for a new wrist based computer with compass. Teric and a few Garmin's both look top notch but get pretty speedy.

Requirements are:
1) User replaceable battery or wireless rechargeable computer
2) Watch style
3) Compass

Other features are really just fluff on my end. I've always kept cheap mounted computers mounted to a camera rig along with compass, etc. Diving less often and with increasingly poor visibility and would really prefer a different setup.

Appreciate the insight.

You might check out the Atmos Mission 1 or 2, or the new Ratio iX3M 2, which are less expensive watch-style computers with compasses, though I'm not sure if they wireless charging.

The compass on the teric’s are no good imho. you have to calibrate it constantly. i always keep an analog as my main compass. The jury’s still out but a few instructors from Lahaina divers say the wireless transmitter ping (sonar) from the garmin’s could be scaring the hammerheads away at Moloka’i during the hammerhead shark dive. just speculation at this point

Best value in town:

Best value in town:

Up that.
I bought one and am pleased with it.
Read around about some issues with it but i never experienced any problem.

Cheers

Good evening. I'm in the market for a new wrist based computer with compass. Teric and a few Garmin's both look top notch but get pretty speedy.

Requirements are:
1) User replaceable battery or wireless rechargeable computer
2) Watch style
3) Compass
The Garmins aren’t wireless charging. But, see below…
Garmin G1 might be a solid choice
I’d agree, though it doesn’t fit the wireless rechargeable criteria. However, with the G1 that may not be a big deal as the battery life is real long. Plus, transfer of the dive activity to the Garmin apps is automatic. As soon as the watch comes within range of the paired phone with the app running in background, the dive profile is there.

Note, I have no direct experience with the G1, but do have an MK2s as a backup to my Perdix. Battery life is great. Diving does use up the battery more than in Smartwatch mode, but even with a few dives, I can get a week of use with a single charge. It would be significantly longer with the G1.

Compass is easy to use. I have 3 dive screens configured, one is the compass. Easy to set a heading, which shows as a green marker on the MK2s, G1 is monochrome, so no color, but looks like a black marker is used. Once the heading is set, you can set a 180 reciprocal, or 90L, and 90R headings.

The Garmins use Buhlmann with gradient factors with 3 presets and custom presets. They track SurfGF, which gives you a real time look at your risk level should you need to surface ASAP. Aside from the Shearwaters, I know of no other brands that have this option.

I looked real close at the G1, but went with the MK2s as it just looks a bit nicer as an everyday watch in a professional environment, plus I had some discounts and credit card rebates which brought the out of pocket cost down significantly.

Thanks folks. Definitely a few options I’ll be looking into. Wireless charging really isn’t a requirement. I should have said rechargeable or user changeable battery as requirements.

The more I consider it, the more I’d like air integration so I have a one stop data point on wrist.

Is it common that the compasses on these have to be calibrated frequently. Reliability and no fuss will be a top priority and definitely take precedent over price point.

I should also add that an ability to see the compass, mark a heading, see tank pressure, depth, and bottom time on a single screen would be ideal. An ability to send a surface SOS/emergency alert while not required would worth a significant premium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom