Need Help In Selecting Red Sea Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergirlLinda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are adventurous divers who are looking at the Red Sea for our next trip. We will most likely use one of the three Aggressors. We are looking for the absolute best diving with big animals. We don't mind cold water. I have heard the southern Red Sea was the best for the diving we are looking for. The Aggressor also now offers a trip to the Sudan. I have no knowledge of diving the Red Sea. Can anyone help?

Most adventure: The Sudanese Red Sea best in late March to May. Preferably a 14-day cruise covering from North Angarosh down to the Suakin archipelago and there in beteeen abington, Sha Suedi and the Toyota Wreck, Sha ab Rumi, the Sanganed Atoll and the wreck of Umbrea in Wingate reefs. You should see lots of sharks, grey reefs, hammergeads, silkys and with some luck a few silvertips. Big schools of barracuda, trevally, bumphead parrotfish and more. Great coral. Perhaps a manta ray or mobulas. Eagle rays. Inme experience a pretty normal 14-day trip in that period. Even more adventurous—the far South Suakins towards Eritrea. Dahrat Qab, Abid, Masamarit Islands etc. Very little dived waters. The MY Royal Evolution has experience from these waters.

My first trip will be in November so I will let other more experienced divers comment. I thought you should know about the fire that sunk the Red see Aggressor I and resulted in the death of one of the customers. My understanding is that Aggressor is a franchise and so you cannot exactly expect the safety standards of one LOB to be the same of others in the fleet. Just be aware:
I havent checked the validity of the postings from the survivors, but it's worth a read.

I also inquired about the event when I tried to book with the Red Sea Aggressor II for my trip, and they declined to comment.

Did AIII and another boat three years ago. You need to research the best time of year to see sharks etc. I saw 2 the entire trip, one hammerhead and one oceanic white tip. Not an issue as that was not why I went but if it was it would have been disappointing. The trips were both out to BDE late March 2018 so sharks etc were not really expected at that time of year. Leaving for another trip in early November again with AIII. Very happy with the boat and crew. Slightly more $ than other options but slightly better food etc than other options. Would probably have gone with the other boat but they no longer do the route I wanted.

Linda, could you tell when you prefer to go ? (which month)

What are your requisites for the boat ? (because there are boats at 900 usd and boats at 3000 usd /week, although the sea is the same for both)

My daughter and her friends used Emperor Divers a couple of months back and she found them excellent.

Just to add, she and her friends are all dive instructors so their evaluation of the trip was from a strong professional viewpoint.

@Christian according to the aggressor website, MY Royal Evolution is joining aggressor fleet in 2022 and the one offering the sudan itinerary Linda is likely referring to

Ah, ok. Didn't know that (have no experience from Aggressor management) Not a lot of boats doing the cross-border trips, tbh I Only know of the RE and they have been doing it for roughly ten years. Otherwise you need to travel to Port Sudan to access the Sudanese Red Sea which is a bit of an ordeal with flights via Dubai, I believe, today. Used to be via Cairo.

@Christian according to the aggressor website, MY Royal Evolution is joining aggressor fleet in 2022 and the one offering the sudan itinerary Linda is likely referring to

I do hope they do a retrofit, as the RE was in shambles in May and was no longer worth the money (despite the fact that she still is the most stable boat in rough seas and has the least engine noise of all boats that I used over the last 15 years).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom