Info Need help in deciding between Ocean Reef and OTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a FFM. After some research, I narrowed it down between Ocean Reef and OTS. I plan on going to the dive shop to fit them and see how they fit and also to see if my vision is affected. I was going to get a Ocean Reef but a friend said I should consider OTS and get something that suits me. I've decided to come here to the boards to get some input and advice for when I head down to the store. IF they are equal and it's a personal preference thing, please let me know that as well. Any advice and pointers are greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

Can you explain your use case? May help determine answer

Can you explain your use case? May help determine answer
I just earned my Dry Suit Certification last weekend. I was diving with a 10mm hood, the water was only 40 degrees F and it wasn't to bad but I'm going to be diving during the Argentinian winter this March and I have future trips planned for Norway, Iceland and other cold water regions over the next few years. My instructor had recommended that I should get a FFM for those colder regions as it would make diving more bearable. Based on recommendations and research I settled on Ocean Reef and OTS. I plan on using the FFM for recreational purposes and I would only use it during cold water dives with my dry suit.

I am currently in the market for a FFM. After some research, I narrowed it down between Ocean Reef and OTS. I plan on going to the dive shop to fit them and see how they fit and also to see if my vision is affected. I was going to get an Ocean Reef but a friend said I should consider OTS and get something that suits me. I've decided to come here to the boards to get some input and advice for when I head down to the store. IF they are equal and it's a personal preference thing, please let me know that as well. Any advice and pointers are greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
I have no experience with Ocean Reef but really detested the breathing effort of the integral regulator in OTS Guardian masks, which suck in a current — though have heard that the newer OTS Spectrum model, which allows for the use of your own second stage, is quite good; is simpler to equalize than many masks; and at about half the price of Scubapro’s FFM counterpart . . .

I have owned both the Ocean Reef and the OTS Guardian FFMs.
I had the Ocean Reef Space and Stealth models, which both have the same built in regulator. The only difference is the mask components. I actually preferred the Space over the more expensive Stealth model.
I currently own a OTS Guardian and prefer it over the Ocean reef. Here's why:
The Ocean reef has a built in Reg, meaning when it's time to service it you are not diving with it. You send the whole thing out for service. While there is a adjustment knob to adjust inhalation effort, the only time I really would use it was to shut it down when it free flowed. Which both the Space and Stealth tend to do. The adjustment knob would also get hard to turn every now and then especially when the mask was about due for a service. It was comfortable to wear tho and easy to put on and take off. Build quality felt a little cheap but never had issues other then the metal strap rollers on the stealth cut the head strap when I pulled it at an angle. Under side swivel exhaust port on the stealth was nice, space is fixed. Standard configuration does not allow the mask to disconnect from the hose, you need the quick disconnect.
The OTS meanwhile... is built like a tank. Not as easy to get on and off but stays planted. I have two regulators for it so when one needs servicing I can send it off and use the other (even tho I service them myself). I'm never without the mask. Breathing effort is not adjustable with a knob, but can be adjusted. The mask feels built better than the Ocean Reefs. Side exhaust port is nice. The regulator pops off the mask when not in use making easy to store with no disconnect needed.
I prefer the OTS as it has never free flowed and is better built. But that's just me. Both fit my face well and are comfortable especially not having to breathe thru your mouth all the time. Ideally try both and decide what you like better. Hope this helps.
Make sure to get the surface air valve so you can breathe surface air while waiting for other divers. Otherwise you'll be draining air from your cylinder.

Been diving the OTS Spectrum for about 5 years. I like the option of adding my second stage plus the fact you can squeeze your nose to equalize. I had an Interspiro AGA but lost a bunch of weight and had difficulty getting a seal. The Guardian and the Spectrum both have the double seal which gives a better fit.

I am currently in the market for a FFM. After some research, I narrowed it down between Ocean Reef and OTS. I plan on going to the dive shop to fit them and see how they fit and also to see if my vision is affected. I was going to get an Ocean Reef but a friend said I should consider OTS and get something that suits me. I've decided to come here to the boards to get some input and advice for when I head down to the store. IF they are equal and it's a personal preference thing, please let me know that as well. Any advice and pointers are greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
I have an Ocean Reef G space and LOVE IT! Have it 4 years now and it’s a dream. I added the extra pieces so I can and communication. I have a flat spot athe top where I attached aGoPro mount. I also took the side pieces and added clips where I have 2 torches attached where I can also adjust angle. I may have to add pics.
I’ve never had an issue getting it serviced. Has a control knob to adjust breathing effort. Has typical 2nd stage purge. Also has a valve to breathe outside air while surface to conserve tank air. But you can also turn those valves into a secondary regulator (I read but never seen).easy to don and doff. Once it’s set after dry fitting. You only need to pull the 2 bottom straps to release. Has built in adjustable “nare knobs” that allow you to easily equalize.
I always keep a back up mask, but have never needed it. I hope it helps!

Thanks for your input, it is gre
I have an Ocean Reef G space and LOVE IT! Have it 4 years now and it’s a dream. I added the extra pieces so I can and communication. I have a flat spot athe top where I attached aGoPro mount. I also took the side pieces and added clips where I have 2 torches attached where I can also adjust angle. I may have to add pics.
I’ve never had an issue getting it serviced. Has a control knob to adjust breathing effort. Has typical 2nd stage purge. Also has a valve to breathe outside air while surface to conserve tank air. But you can also turn those valves into a secondary regulator (I read but never seen).easy to don and doff. Once it’s set after dry fitting. You only need to pull the 2 bottom straps to release. Has built in adjustable “nare knobs” that allow you to easily equalize.
I always keep a back up mask, but have never needed it. I hope it helps!
Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom