Need help Identifying this long black fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn’t barracuda silver? Or it just looks black on the photo?

Caribbean Barracuda can be black on top and change color. The one in your photo definitely has the mouth of a Barracuda and tail (though I've not see light and dark there). Definite lighting contrasts here. I can't say what species it is. I am not that big on Pacific fishes.

I like that photo. Nice to see the yellow tangs; having seen them in pet stores, I wondered where they lived in the wild. I haven't dove Hawaii; I agree that looks like the barracuda I see in the Caribbean and Florida. I've seen one change color and pattern; saw one with blotches basically turn them off.

And they can look unusual. A few years back I posted a pic of a big one from Bonaire on the forum and asked what it was. People said barracuda. I was like 'But it's fat! That thing's obese! I've never seen a fat barracuda.'

Well...now I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom