Need help identifying these tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sortsol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I picked these up and just had them hydro'd. they are 22 years old, but look in perfect condition. thinking of using them for sidemount, but can't identify the manufacture or decipher most of the print on the tanks. They don't match what I can find. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
Looks simple.

PST 100

Has an E9791 exemption and a fill pressure of 3500. Galvanized coating. Probably 7/8 thread, din only. Could be a 120 but without a picture of the full size it would be hard to tell.

Both are stamped 91 they both have a lone 81 on it. They are at least 28 years old, possibly 38 years old.

Both are stamped 91 they both have a lone 81 on it. They are at least 28 years old, possibly 38 years old.

where did you see the 91? The original hydro stamp in picture 4 is 12-97. Those tanks weren't made in the early 80's or 90's.

@swimlikethefish was correct, they are PST high pressure tanks. Which specific one is unknown from the pictures, could be 80's, 100's, or 120's. They will have 7/8 valves, and they will be 300bar DIN only. They are also hot dipped galvanized which is ideal for the salty stuff.
They are very high quality tanks and it looks like they have been well taken care of.

If you go here
SCUBA Cylinder Specifications – Huron Scuba, Snorkel & Adventure Travel Inc. PADI 5 star IDC in Ann Arbor, MI
and look down the list for the PST tanks that have a working pressure of 3500psi, you'll see the tank specs for those bottles. Get the rough height without the valve and that will tell you if it's a 80/100/120

Wow, 38 years... you'd not know it from how they look and they've only had three hydro's. I was told they are HP120's. They have 300 Bar DIN only valves on them.

Wrote the above before I saw tbone1004's response. Great info all, thanks!

They are USD HP35 tanks made by PST. 7/8 valves.

The two I have were made in 1998 and were also hydro'd in 8/12 and painted with red paint......

Attachments

• 20200818_080852.jpg
    20200818_080852.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 106
DOT = US Department of Transportation
E9791 = Pressed steel tank
3500 = working/service pressure in PSI
TP5250 = test pressure in PSI
IA 81 = I believe this is a manufacturers mark (company = Pressed Steel tank company)
63176/618198 = I believe these are the manufacturer's serial numbers for the respective cylinders
The next mark after the the serial numbers is either the manufacturer's touch mark or the independent inspection facility's touch mark.
4-98 = April 1997 hydrostatic test date (could be the original test date of the respective cylinder)
12-97 = December 1997 hydrostatic test date (could be the original test date of the respective cylinder)
8-12 = August 2012 hydrostatic test date (I believe the marks between the numbers indicate the facility that did the test)
7-20 - July 2020 hydrostatic test date (I believe the marks between the numbers indicate the facility that did the test)

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom