Need Help - First Regulator Rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I finally got around to rebuilding an old Titan, put it up on a tank to fiddle with the IR and ran into the following. As I open the valve there is a momentary hiss of air out of the 1st stage. Once the valve is completely open, the flow stops. Then, when I draw on the 2nd, the flow comes back but at a lower rate. I adjusted the IP from 100 to 135 and this still happens. The IP held steady for 30 minutes.

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I guess first question, is did you do a bubble check on the first stage to see where the leak is. When you say a hiss out of the first stage, do you mean just the sound, or air is escaping the first stage?

I guess first question, is did you do a bubble check on the first stage to see where the leak is. When you say a hiss out of the first stage, do you mean just the sound, or air is escaping the first stage?

sound, mostly. i was going to use my daughter's next bath to do the bubble test.

sound, mostly. i was going to use my daughter's next bath to do the bubble test.

it also makes a sound when breathing on the second stage.

I think, as long as you don't find leaks, that you may just be overthinking it. There will be a little bit of hiss as the reg pressurizes all the hoses. The slower you open the valve, the longer that lasts. High pressure air rushing through small openings! Same-same... especially if you are already attuned to it by worry, your probably going to notice the sound of the air through the hoses when you draw on the reg. I'd bubble check it, and verify that you have a good strong purge. If that all checks out, I would think you are good.
I'll throw one of my Conshelfs on a tank and see how it sounds.

I think, as long as you don't find leaks, that you may just be overthinking it. There will be a little bit of hiss as the reg pressurizes all the hoses. The slower you open the valve, the longer that lasts. High pressure air rushing through small openings! Same-same... especially if you are already attuned to it by worry, your probably going to notice the sound of the air through the hoses when you draw on the reg. I'd bubble check it, and verify that you have a good strong purge. If that all checks out, I would think you are good.
I'll throw one of my Conshelfs on a tank and see how it sounds.

Cool. Thanks. I guess I'm just second guessing my skill set and automatically assume I did something wrong.

I just verified on my usual Conshelf set... I think you are hearing normal operation. If you want to pm me an email address I'll send you cell footage for the sound to .
Respectfully
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom