Need help deciding first wing Apeks or Halcyon systems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on purchasing a wing set up and I need help deciding between Halcyon and Apeks.

I do mostly recreational dry suit diving with aluminum and steel cylinders (cold water). I will be going with weight pockets and steel bp. I do plan on diving with a stage once in a while, maybe doubles one day who knows. No I do not plan on going with a weight belt.

I do plan to bring it with me when I'l travel. Maybe I could get a lighter bp for that.

The Apeks system has no colour options and seems more bulky tech orientated especially with the wtx harness but would have comme with the extra padding and D rings.

I do think the halcyon option would be a bit more pricey for the same set up but I want to be happy with my purchase and keep it for a long time.

What are your guys thought between the two options?

I would do halycon. You can see a post I made in the BC section about a recent experience I had with them.

They are 2 of the most expensive systems you can buy. There are cheaper options that are of the same quality.

Paragon Single Tank Package - Subgravity
Dive Rite BC Systems
DGX BC Systems

I don’t think my LDS handles those except OMS. I want to buy through them. The Apeks set up seems quite popular around my part of the world..

I find the colour options a nice feature of the Halcyon, tempting. Not everything has to be black.

They are 2 of the most expensive systems you can buy. There are cheaper options that are of the same quality.

Paragon Single Tank Package - Subgravity
Dive Rite BC Systems
DGX BC Systems

+1 for this.

A back plate is a back plate, harness is a harness, wing is a wing. There really is not much of a difference between any of them. This is like asking what is better Chevy or Ford.

If you have the money and don't mind paying the extra $ to have "H" all over your gear go for it. But ultimately its really the same thing. If you want lots of color options check OMS or Tecline.

Also Apeks seems very expensive outside the UK/EU, so check UK/EU websites and you will find its much cheaper. I buy most of my Apeks stuff from the EU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom