Need Help Choosing Cel Phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never owned a wireless phone but now I'd like to buy one. I move around quite a bit. I've moved back and forth to Asia several times in the last 4 years and I'll probably have a similar lifestyle for the next few more. I'm in korea now but I'll be back in Canada in the fall and then back somewhere over this way the next spring.

I need a phone that can move with me. Don't care much about bells and whistles. Although I do like gadgets, the price is more important. If I have to spend a lot to get a functioning global phone, then so be it. Any one have any ideas?

jiveturkey:
mmm....well that worked well.
04.gif

I'm too lazy to look it up, but what GSM system is Korea on?

It's like TV systems... There are at least three cell-phone systems used worldwide... Europe and a lot of the rest of the world uses GSM 900 and/or GSM 1800, and (yes) North (and South?) America and a few other places use the incompatible GSM 1900. Different frequencies.

One option, of course, would be to buy a new cell phone (and cell phone account) every time you moved. That would work best, though, for those folks who were going to stay put for a long time. Or those that absolutely have to have the latest and greatest, and buy new phones every year anyway. You're obviously not one of either of those groups.

The most worldwide-universal thing to do would be to buy a so-called "tri-band" phone, that works on all three frequencies. They used to be rare and a bit expensive, but now they're out there more and more. Their technical specifications will highlight the tri-band feature.

There are also two types of hardware used for account programming. Here in Europe, it's amost universal to use a "SIM card" in the phone... that's a small plastic card, about 1" x 1/2", with an imbedded chip. You can easily change service providers by just getting a SIM card from the new provider, and still use the same phone. (You may need to determine an unlock code for the phone, if the phone was provided free by the original provider.) I don't know about Canada, but most U.S. phones and providers unfortunately haven't used SIM cards. But T-Mobile, at least, has.

So, in summary... I'd get a tri-band phone that takes a SIM card.

Hope that helps!

--Marek

I think it depends on a couple of things. Do you want a single account that will work anywhere, or do you mind changing accounts each time you move, saving some money?

I'm no expert, but as Marek said, the SIM-card models seem to be the cheapest way to go. I was working with a guy in Turkey who had a US phone (probably T-Mobile). While in Turkey, and also while traveling in Thailand, he bought SIM cards for 'pre-paid' accounts. We all used pre-paid accounts there, and it is a small pain to periodically buy a new phone card and recharge your account. I usually bought 1000-minute cards.

The drawback is that each time you change the SIM card your phone number changes (since it's a different account), and you may loose your phonebook entries, but I'm not sure on that one.

If you get a US 'International' plan, traveling should be seamless, but will probably cost you a whole lot more. And you may have to maintain a US mailing address to keep the contract. Check what the roaming charges will be if you have a US account and you are living overseas for a couple of years.

Since most US companies require a two-year contract, you might be better served by going pre-paid here as well. I don't know if there are any pre-paid phones that use SIM cards, though. And with pre-paid you may loose some features like voicemail.

Also, the US companies like to make you buy their phone for their service, so even if the technology is correct, I'm not sure they will let you buy just an account and use a phone that you didn't buy from them.

3dent:
The drawback is that each time you change the SIM card your phone number changes (since it's a different account) ... If you get a US 'International' plan, traveling should be seamless, but will probably cost you a whole lot more.
But JT would probably want to change his number each time he moves anyway; otherwise he'd be paying horrendous roaming charges (as you imply). Plus, with U.S. cell phone accounts, you're usually charged for both outgoing and incoming calls -- big disadvantage. In Europe, anyway, you're only charged for outgoing calls.

3dent:
and you may loose your phonebook entries, but I'm not sure on that one.
With my SIM-carded Nokia 6610, you can save your phone book entries either to the SIM card, or to the phone itself. So you have a choice, depending on whether you're more likely to be changing your phone or your provider (SIM card).

Just that on the SIM card, you can only have one number per entry (can't have one person's name entry with, like, home, business, and cell phone numbers).

--Marek

I just found this article and haven't had time to read it, but it promises good info:

\\http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0308.htm

Hope it helps.

(Later that same day...)

OK, I read through the article, all seven pages, and it may not be too much help in your circumstances, since it focuses on GSM service, and it say's that Korea and Japan don't have GSM.

I'm guessing that Korea and Canada (the two countries you mentioned) have CDMA or TDMA, so I wonder if a Korean phone will work with a Canadian pre-paid (CDMA or TDMA) account, and vice versa? I guess that's what you need to look into?

Again, I'm focusing on pre-paid, since no contract is required, but you may decide it's better to get a one year contract, or something, depending on how long you expect to be in a particular country.

The forwarding service mentioned in the article might serve you well, if you want one number that people can reach you at, no matter where you are.

Just trying to help...

Thanks for the input. I've since checked into the GSM phones. They sounded great but like 3dent said, they don't work here or in japan. Ahhhhh!!!!! Having the sim cards would be perfect for my situation. I'm pretty sure the korean phones won't work in canada.

If only i could get a GSM/CDMA/TDMA phone. That would be great. Maybe I'll just try to find a cheap prepaid local phone in both countries.

Thanks for the help guys.

jiveturkey:
Thanks for the input. I've since checked into the GSM phones. They sounded great but like 3dent said, they don't work here or in japan. Ahhhhh!!!!! Having the sim cards would be perfect for my situation. I'm pretty sure the korean phones won't work in canada.

If only i could get a GSM/CDMA/TDMA phone. That would be great. Maybe I'll just try to find a cheap prepaid local phone in both countries.

Thanks for the help guys.
Greg--

There may have been some recent changes for the better in South Korea. I got some interesting hits when I searched under "GSM," "Korea," and SIM." Like, this site says that as of 2002, Hong Kong GSM customers can use their phones on a roaming basis in South Korea. So like with multi-system TVs (and unlike cars), international technical compatibility seems to still be moving along.

I'm sure related to this, SK Telecom's web site shows a link to "Mobile & SIM Roaming"... but it looks like the link is in Korean, so that's as far as I can go. So it looks like at least foreign GSM users can use roaming in South Korea... but that's not quite what you're looking for. Still, might be worth investigating.

On the other hand, it looks like North Korea has banned the use of CDMA... Wonder why?
03.gif

--Marek

Marek K:
On the other hand, it looks like North Korea has banned the use of CDMA... Wonder why?
03.gif

--Marek

Off topic, but you reminded me of something I ran across a few years ago. A magazine (I think it was Time) had an article on North Korea. They had some pictures of beautiful, broad streets in Pyongyang, all unoccupied. In the article they mentioned that no-one could afford cars, but bicycles were banned because they “impede traffic.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom