Need help choising location to scuba\snorkel from Placencia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jztiger

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be travelling with a group of 6 adults in January. We have 2 Advanced open water divers and 4 that want to snorkel. From my research sounds like Splash dive center is our best options. There are several trips and wanted to get some experienced opinions on what may be best option for us. They have scheduled trips the time we are there. Long distance trips to Grand Channel, Blue Hole, and South Water. As well they have barrier dives to Ranguana Caye, Silk Cayes, and Pompion Caye.

Any thoughts on which trip would result in best experience for both the divers and my snorkeling friends?

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

I've dived with Splash every year for the last four or five years and will do so again in June.

Of all the places they go, Glovers is probably my favorite. It's a long day but with a big payoff in terms of aquatic life. You would definitely be on "the big boat," for any of the longer trips, the 46 ft Newton. I like that boat so much I tend to just go wherever it goes. I've done the shorter trips many, many times and never get tired of any of them.

I can't remember any trip where there wasn't a mix of snorkelers and divers. The typical outing heads for one of the cayes, where the snorkelers and lunch are dropped off. Then the divers are taken a short distance away, do the dive, then return to the caye for lunch and an SI, followed by a second dive then pick up the snorkelers and head home. Each caye is a little different. There's a few cabanas on Pompion, a single hut on Ranguana (I may have those two mixed up) and only an outhouse on Silk along with a couple of picnic tables. If you do Silk, you'll stop at a spot where the fisherman toss their catch leftovers so you would snorkel with a bunch of turtles, rays, etc. Always a crowd pleaser.

The Blue Hole. Pretty controversial here, although there hasn't been a big fight about it lately. Just know that it's a bounce dive where you go down to around 50 feet at the lip, then over the side and into the hole to 130, where you'll hang out for about 5 minutes before making your way back to the lip to hang out some more before you surface. It's unique but over with pretty quick. It's pushing the limits of rec diving. It's not for everybody. You may or may not see a bunch of sharks, but you will definitely see a huge wall. Love it or hate it, the general consensus is the other dives in the area and a visit to Half Moon Caye are fantastic.

To sum it up, I don't know that there really is a "best" experience. They are all pretty great, which is why I keep going back. That, and all the jungle stuff right up the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom