Need Gills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Actual gills. Assuming they're lightweight.

Once upon I time I was a young and dumb backpacker. 40-50 pounds of weight wasn't even really given any thought by most of us in olden times. Then I became old and dumb, and learned about ultralight backpacking. 10-15 pounds of weight. Much more comfortable, and much safer than stumbling under heavy loads.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out why diving is so miserable. I did the math, and it came to me. Tank with air in it, 45 pounds; weights, maybe 16 pounds; dry suit, 10 pounds not including undergarments; regs, 3 pounds; mask fins snorkel, almost 8 pounds; BC, almost 8 pounds; other gear, even more weight. That's 90+ pounds! Trip from parking lot to edge of ocean: not very fun.

I don't know how it never previously occurred to me that a recreational activity that requires hiking and rock climbing and surge channel jumping with that much stuff on, might be insane. Hence, my need for gills. Has anyone bioengineered any? Because I just don't see ultralight scuba gear on the horizon.

Would gills really help? You would still need all that other stuff to stay warm.
I snorkel New England in wetsuit with electric tee shirt and no tanks, weights or reg and i photograph critters day and night. I’m hop my elderly self right into the sheltered coves, no rough surf entries for this lady.

Yeah, I figure whoever can engineer some girls will probably be able to put together nuclear powered rash guard pretty quickly, for warmth. Need me some gills. Preferably retractable ones that took away nicely. Or if not, then color changing like a Chamaeleon.

I met a tiny older woman diver on a boat in Florida. She drove down from Quebec by herself for an ocean dive, but was there to dive caves. Her usual dives were in the St. Lawrence on in the Great Lakes. She also bemoaned the excessive weight from doubles. Her solution? After a few years, she switched to a rebreather.

I don't know how it never previously occurred to me that a recreational activity that requires hiking and rock climbing and surge channel jumping with that much stuff on, might be insane.
Seen this thread?
Nuffa That.

Yes. Actual gills. Assuming they're lightweight.

Once upon I time I was a young and dumb backpacker. 40-50 pounds of weight wasn't even really given any thought by most of us in olden times. Then I became old and dumb, and learned about ultralight backpacking. 10-15 pounds of weight. Much more comfortable, and much safer than stumbling under heavy loads.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out why diving is so miserable. I did the math, and it came to me. Tank with air in it, 45 pounds; weights, maybe 16 pounds; dry suit, 10 pounds not including undergarments; regs, 3 pounds; mask fins snorkel, almost 8 pounds; BC, almost 8 pounds; other gear, even more weight. That's 90+ pounds! Trip from parking lot to edge of ocean: not very fun.

I don't know how it never previously occurred to me that a recreational activity that requires hiking and rock climbing and surge channel jumping with that much stuff on, might be insane. Hence, my need for gills. Has anyone bioengineered any? Because I just don't see ultralight scuba gear on the horizon.
Man I wish I could dive cold water with only 90lb!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom