Need Feedback on Diving in Exuma with Sandals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zsuzsika

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are heading to the Sandals Emerald Bay in Exuma; plan to dive, but we have low expecations - it's Sandals after all! I hear the resort is amazing, so we're looking forward to a week in paradise, and not much else.

Since we arrive this coming Saturday, the earliest we can dive will be on Monday; I am hoping we can dive a total of four days while there - the dive op is closed on Sundays. We've been to other Sandal's resorts, and though we want to get wet, we're going for much needed R&R and the diving won't be the focus of this vacation. Like I said, we "know" Sandals, so our expectations aren't high.

I've been diving in Freeport with UNEXSO, which was great. And I've been to Grand Turk, which was even better. But never to any out islands; I was just wondering what kind of diving I can expect - I am guessing the dives will be shallow. Is there anything specific to diving in this part of the world I should be aware of? It's pretty close to the Tuks & Caicos; any cool wall dives I can look forward to? On our Sandals trip to St. Lucia a few years ago, we were shocked that we got to dive Superman's Flight - an awesome dive, and totally unexpected of Sandals! Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed for any "surprises".

You feedback is much appreciated.

Suzi

Hi there.... my husband and I stayed and dived with them in June of this year.

I think you have the right attitude.... the resort is amazing and it was such a relaxing vacation.
The diving was just ok. There didn't seem to be a lot of sites they visit. The format when we were there was the first dive was for the certified divers at a given site, then you return to the dock and pick up the 'resort course' divers and go to the sandals reef - Every day the same reef on the 2nd dive. Also there is only one boat so make sure if you want to do 2 dives you sign up for them both, as the 2nd one can potentially fill up.

We did see a turtle, a baby nurse shark, jacks, barracudas, puffer fish, lots of lobsters but the reefs weren't that varied, there were no wrecks as far as I remember and no walls really.

The dive crew was very friendly and tried to be as accommodating as possible.

They usually will do a shark dive 1 day a week, but you have to travel to another island. We persuaded them to do it for us, but the morning of it was cancelled due to the weather on the other island.

Maybe it will be better now... I'd be interested to hear what your experience is when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom