Need Distributor Information for a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pembina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a customer looking for a dry suit and I don't know who or where to search. We do not handle Dry Suits and at this time I do not want to stock any but I would like to take care of my customer. Who would you suggest that I contact to purchase one only and not have to make a commitment to order any additional suits.
Any preference out there for the different brands. I'm not sure what model he has currently but he is large in the neck and says that his current one chokes him.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jacquie
itsallgood@stevesscuba.com

If you aren't in the dry suit business, then send him down the road. But you REALLY need to think about what you are not selling! If one person has come into a store that doesn't sell drysuits, then how many would be interested in the product if they saw one in the store or saw the staff wearing one?

As for which one is best ... that's not so easy. Nobody sells junk anymore. So, it's the one that has the best profit margin for the store and the best service after the sale.

You do not have to stock suits to sell them with some mfg's. Just need to have a representation. Some mfg's only sell made to order suits anyway. So get one for your self that they could look at, get the measurements, and send them in. Sell em a suit that way.

Contact the reps for the lines you carry, one of them propbably sells drysuits and may help you out.

I have the same exact issue myself right now. I have spoken to several different Dry suit manufacture reps and have yet to find one really willing to deal with my store due to number 1, being a small store and number 2, I am not crazy on the idea of stocking any suits as well. I am more interested in having the ability to order a custom suit for my customers. Most everyone I have as customers indicate they would prefer a custom fit suit anyway. Please let me know if you have made any progress or came to a resolution on your Dry suit problem.

Thanks

Jon

I spent over 28 years as a drysuit rep and it can be tough for both sides.

A small shop that cannot afford the 12 to 20 suit investment that the big guys want will often have to "settle" for one of the smaller guys that are willing to open them with a lot less.

That is where I came in with my second level line of suits. I would open that guy with 1 to 4 suits (depending on their local market) and teach him/her how to sell their stuff. I would also protect the market from his old instructor that opened a shop a couple of miles away.

After a few months of selling drysuits, the rep for the "Big Guys" would drop by, put his arm around my store owner's shoulder and say "We have been watching you! And we are going to make you a shining star!"

I would lose that store and not be able to go across town to his competitor because I was the "A-hole that wouldn't sell to him!" Now I have lost that whole marketplace.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you are going to be in the drysuit business, BE in the drysuit business. Contact each company you want to work with by phone and make an appointment to have the rep come into your store. Then keep the appointment yourself. In other words, have someone there to handle customers while you have your meeting. If you go with a custom-only company, then bring in a couple of suits in generic sizing to show options and colors. If the company has a full range of sizing, then do your best to have a range of sizing.

Then when Mr Bigshot comes in to make you a star, send him packing. Stick with the companies that helped you get started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom