need different fins...need opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am currently using the Tusa Imprex Fins. Most of our diving is in Cozumel and is drift diving. I have noticed that if I happen to pass up a swim through and the dive master heads into it then I have to kick back to it against the current....I GET NOWHERE!!! I kick and kick and go absolutely nowhere (at least I don't go backwards). My hubby has to get behind me and push for me to get anywhere. Part of this may be that I'm not just not that strong. However, I feel that part of the problem is the fins. Number one, I bought a size Regular (on the advice of my instructor...he said regular would be fine since I'd be wearing booties). I have rather small feet. Of the two pairs of booties I have, one is a size 4 and the other is a size 5. Should I be wearing Size SMALL fins instead of regular? Second question, any opinions on a better fin for me? When I'm kicking against the current I can stay put (not go backwards) but I can't get anywhere and my calves are killing the next day (thank goodness I don't have to kick against the current very often). Any advice on different fins is appreciated...even if it's just to go with a smaller size.

Thanks!
Michelle

Maybe you would like the Mares Quatros. Those are the ones I like.

Gotta agree with C. I too use Quatros and they kick butt.

I'm partial to Jet Fins. They work great in current and are awesome for finesse kicks.

I agree to try a pair of Avanti Quattros. Even though I love my Jet Fins, I'm not sure I'd recommend them to someone who doesn't have very strong legs...sounds like a cramp waiting to happen.

Please before you decide try a pair of scubapro twin jets. ( the light grey pair ) WOW

d56nut,
While the quattros are an incredibly good pair of fins w/ a lot of power, you may also want to consider the Volo Power fins by Mares. These fins will offer close to the same power as the quattros, although with much less effort to kick, this could be important to your sore legs. The other nice thing about the volo's is the foot pocket is very comfortable, and the fins are very light weight. Good for travel, I've also heard women like them because of the weight, as it is not a big heavy fin on your feet.

good luck in your quest.

I dive the Tusa imprex fins and they're very avg with okay power. Been having some ankle issues so I'm about to move to Apollo Bios to make life easier.

That being said, my wife moved to the Mares Volos a couple of years ago and was blown away by them. She couldn't be happier.

Michelle,
The Mares Avanti Quantros are fine. However, I believe the Aqua Lung Blades 2 are better. I used the Blades and I'm happy with them.
Regarding kicking against current, I think you need to know how to adjust your finning style and how to deal with currents. It's not a matter of power. It's a matter of style. Try dolphin kicks instead of flutter in strong currents but beware of your gas consumption rate. Also frog kicks are advisable in some situations.

Zak OHara:
d56nut,
While the quattros are an incredibly good pair of fins w/ a lot of power, you may also want to consider the Volo Power fins by Mares. These fins will offer close to the same power as the quattros, although with much less effort to kick, this could be important to your sore legs. The other nice thing about the volo's is the foot pocket is very comfortable, and the fins are very light weight. Good for travel, I've also heard women like them because of the weight, as it is not a big heavy fin on your feet.

good luck in your quest.

I've used USD Blades which I believe are similar to Quatros in terms of performance. They will let you generate some very effective power but they will also put quite a demand on the engine (your legs). They may not be the right solution for you.

Before you go off and spend $$$ on new fins, you may want to take a close look at you technique. Almost any reasonable fin should allow you to swim against normal currents in Cozumel. If your legs are tiring and you are getting nowhere with a good pair of fins, a better pair of fins may not help much.

Back
Top Bottom