Need advise on Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are considering a trip to Punta Cana in December. From doing reading on the net, I fell that it is not very good diving. Does anyone have any new imput? My wife dives but enjoys the beach life more and it sounds like a new (and different) place for that.
Thanks

First let me say I did not dive but did snorkle. It was OK. There were penned rays and sharks on the snork trip first stop which I did not like. In my opinion the diving would have been better than the snork as the "reef" which was the second stop was crowded with snorks... and the few divers went off in another direction.

The beach is great in PC and most likely you are staying at an AI.. You will have a bunch of fun.

Was there in May 06 for wedding at the Bavaro Princess. Did 8 dives. The 6 dives we did from the resort wre average, the wreck was neat, but I'm easy to please. Limited underwater life and some of the coral is ragged but it is better to dive than not to dive. The best dives were on a day trip to Catilina Island - long bus ride but excellant wall dives on great coral. The neat thing was the dive/snorkel boat. It was a very large pontoon boat with the divers gearing up on benches on the pontoon and then just fall in.

If you search Dominican Republic, you'll find lot's of opinions. Generally it seems the more dives you have under your belt the less you'll like the DM. Go there for other reasons.

Well...

I stayed at the RIU Palace in 2004....and the place was fantastic....the grounds were beautiful....service top notch....

I did 6 dives there and the diving was not very good....bleached coral....very little sea life.....and a real bummer....such a beautiful topside enviroment.....but underneath....a disaster....

I had heard that the best diving is on the southern part of the Dominican......so try there.....La Romana I believe the place was......

Also.....stay in your resort.....trust me....its a bit scary outside of the hotel grounds...

NR77:no

Back
Top Bottom