Need advise on drysuit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WC46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just ordered a Dui TLS 350 and spent all my money. I need to get some undergarment for 45-60 degree waters. Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced undergarment? Looked at some on ebay but just didn't know what to do.

Just ordered a Dui TLS 350 and spent all my money. I need to get some undergarment for 45-60 degree waters. Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced undergarment? Looked at some on ebay but just didn't know what to do.

Well a great suit like that deserves a great undergarment.
Look for quality materials, like Thinsolate 200, or fabrics from Marsden Mills (Polartec), stay away from cheap fleece as they can be overly buoyant for the weight.
There are several good custom makers of undergarments, do a search here on SB, and they should show up. Also, Whites makes excellent undergarments like the MK2 and MK3.

Good luck,
Geoff

If you're on a budget, those ebay undergarments offer incredible bang for the buck, at least according to a few extensive threads here. Search it and I think you'll find a wealth of information, and the seller is apparently very good to deal with.

Well, it really depends on the type of person you are, Living in BC Canada the water temp here is 42-52 all year round. I know all kinds of people here that dive with special DS undergarments, and aren't comfortable, whether it be too hot or too cold, what I wear is a set of thermal long underwear, then mircofiber pants and longsleeve T. When its cold outside airtemp wise I'll through a t-shirt on underneath. From my experience you need to be comfortable above and below if your sweating to much before entry you will prolly freeze once you break a thermocline, but you still need to wear enough to keep you warm underwater, and you don't want bulky clothing under your suit, as it adds lots of bouancy and makes it harder to vent. Try to avoid Cotton top layer as if your seals burp or you valves sweat cotton will soak it all up and after multiple dives you will be wet, where as a microfibre or snug fittiing fleece won't soak it up on you. For no you can use whatever keeps you comfortable, cuase if you not comfortable your not gunna want to dive and well with a brand new dry suit thats not a good thing.

Water temps around 60F are just a bit chilly to me in a polarfleece. At 200g thinsulate would probably be ok though. But by the time the water is at 45F, I'm looking for the real deal. My Pinnacle Evolution was really nice in 54F. I never felt the water at all, and I'd think it would be fine in those kinds of temps. But it's not so easy to swim.

You might look into something like a Weezle Extreme which you can squeeze down pretty hard as the water gets warm, and loft more as the water gets colder. Some don't care for the Weezles, but I've rarely heard of anyone even being remotely cold in the temps you're talking about. Seems nearly idea given the range of temps you're trying to cover.

You might also look at a used DUI 400g. A new one would likely be too warm for the upper limit of what you've listed here, but a slightly older one might be just right. Does the shop you bought your suit from offer any demos? That might be a good way to test some suits out. I went to the DUI DOG days (demo days) and found that invaluable.

You didn't skimp on the suit so I don't recommend you skimp on the undergarment which is just as important. I had a thinsulate and wouldn't do it again - after a few years it starts to bunch up in some places and get thin in others leaving cold spots. I have a Weezle Extreme + now which is wonderful for the cold water here, but might be a little overkill for you. The regular Weezle is likely fine. No kidding, don't try to make something up from stuff you get at the local outdoor shop. You'll be cold and miserable in an excellent suit.

Well I just picked up a set of DUI polartec powerstretch on ebay for $125.00. Did I do ok? Guy said he dove them about 50 dives.

Well if your happy with the amount you spent and its comfortable to dive(which you prolly don't know yet) then you did excellent, enjoy your new suit and undies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom