Need advise on Diy Video Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nickt1220

New
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a virgin with posting here. Just want to see if I can get any advise with making my own Video Housing.

What I am thinking,

I got a Sony HDR-CX7 camcorder, high-def, memory cards. Very small!! I dont know how it will be under water as i have not read any posts on it.

Need help with advise with materials and other suggestions.
Was thinking about making a simple housing, using a dome port and wide angle lens allready mounted on the camcorder. Just a plain simple round design with wings. Clear 1" acrylic back plate with a 2.5" lcd moniter mounted behind it. Simple controls(on/off, zoom,) and to top it off with HID or Leds for my lighting.

For Sealing:
I have built my own canister light, do you its ok if you the same design for o-ring? a back plate lathed to a t shape so can just fit one o-ring on it and latch it with ss clamps form mcmaster.com. Max depth woulnt go past 40Meters

DomePort:
Is this really neccesary? Heard the good and bads. Mostly want to do wide angle and some macro but not much. For the dome port i was looking at the 4" replacement lens from the Equinox pro 6 housings.

Material:
What type of plastic should i use? how thick should the walls be? Where to buy? What about delrin? the tube is gonna be about 5-6" diameter

Controls:
where to buy? Should I try maybe even mount the remote inside and just use smaller push buttons? This is where I am gonna need help with as this would be the most important and probably where i would mess up and the housing would leak.

Thanks everybody I really appreciate any advise and will post pics with the progress
Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom