Need advice regarding my west end bahamas trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM240897

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

I will be sailing out of Jacksonville, Fla to the bahamas on Jan 11, 2012. I will be in west end for a day or two. can anyone tell me where can I rent scuba tanks and where to dive there. I prefer just renting the tanks and actually taking the sail boat to the dive site.... can anyone give me some ideas please, this is my first time in the bahamas.

Also, can anyone tell me how much is an air fill and tank rental?

Ok make sure to make sure to get the information on port fees and customs based on length of boat,Bahamas tourisim is a great resource,West End is a mess since the Ginn bankruptcy and OldBahama Bay the only resort is open/closed and changing owners or banks claiming title,Staurts was to start a tourist shark deal dive opp shop at West end but as of the end of the year not sure,Old Bahama Bay had a eco underwater trail years back on some reef,Xanadu dive shop may still be open mid island,Id dive with a opp and not solo due to a fair shark presence on island,you never know,
Neal Watson's Xanadu Undersea Adventures - Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

I would rather head for the Exumas. Stop for tank fills at Staniel Cay, then dive the wall on the outside of the Exumas. Near Normans island is really nice. Thunderball Grotto at Staniel Cay is a nice shallow fun movie site, but Exumas is the best diving in the Bahamas.

Stuart did manage to get something going.
Stuart Cove's Tiger Beach Seafaris Located at Old Bahama Bay Resort, West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas. Tiger beach shark diving.

I'm not certain they've yet got the customer base to consider themselves well established. So trips are a bit hit and miss with the distance to the shark site, poor weather and viz at this time of year (Or so word has it).
I would consider it certain that he'll have tanks and a compressor.
Might be worth an email. (Sooner rather than later, no regularly scheduled trips will probably indicate part time staffing, so longer response time for communication)

Good luck.

Also considering a trip out there in May on a friends boat. Tagging on to your thread to see what info we can dig up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom