Need advice - Recovered Very Old Anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckraider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Couple of things here:

1) What should I do? I seem to recall it needs to stay in salt water. A friend said something about electrolosis to remove coral/growth. ANy advise out there?

2) Any ideas on age

Many thanks

see picture

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 537
Fantastic find, you may want to have it looked at by FSU panama city, there are some incredible discoveries over there...

Anchor is late 1800's early 1900's and is a steel crossarm, of course the crossarm is missing and would have been the same length that you have from outside fluke to fluke, and the crossarm would have a ball on each end and a 90* elbow with a removale pin so you can break the anchor down for storage.
To clean this anchor up I would use a needle gun or chipping hammer then hit with a wire wheel then wipe down with thinner and make up fiber glass resin and coat everything that will stop the rusting and will seal it, from their you could paint it or leave it. I find and restore lots of anchors from the size you have all the way up to 16,000 lbs.
I found a one very close to yours last month.
Ed

Attachments

• DSCN7511.jpg
    DSCN7511.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 706
Apple cider vinegar will clean it. Keep it submerged and time will do the work. I dont think the apple cider vinegar will disolve metal but I would do some research on that first.

Email the Treasure Salvors at the link below. They have huge 300 year old anchors they have cleaned and have them sitting in front of their museum in Key West. They can advise you. They also have a Facebook site.

Mel Fisher's Treasures

Give the following link a moment to load. If you look carefully you will see two HUGE 300 yr old anchors in the front yard of Mel Fishers Museum

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...tGWzAXQhkDYAh75MVjPqhQ&cbp=12,138.75,,0,-6.09

Last edited:
The first thing to do is to keep it wet, either in salt or fresh water. Fresh is better, but keep it wet.

Next, there is a lot of growth and concreation on iot. This forms a shell around the iron and needs to come off. Most times a blow from a hammer or mallet will break it.

Once all the concreation is off, keep it wet again. It looks like it came from salt water, if so, keep it wet for anywhere from 6 months to 2+ years in fresh water to leach out the chloride ions. If you want to do electrolisys, we can tell you how, but it needs to be cleaned up first.

Listen to what Gilldiver says. DON'T paint it. If you are in Panama City go to the Man in the Sea Museum and look at the anchor from the Tarpon. That should tell you what happens when something is not treated after it is removed from the water.

Gilldiver gave some very good advice.

Back
Top Bottom