Need advice photo trip to scuba club cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blibecap

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a 2019 June / July / August trip to SCC Scuba Club Cozumel and would like some advice and suggestions. The group will be about 10-12 people focused on photography. I seem to recall that there was a dive master at SCC that was a photographer but I can't seem to find that thread and wonder if he might still be there. Most of the dive masters want to move along a little too quick so I am looking for someone that would understand photographers and video people. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bill in Cincinnati, Ohio

If you have that many picture takers - virtually any dive shop would dive at your pace not theirs. Two boats of 5-6 people, two dive masters - the shops tend to satisfy the majority on the boat. With the current, it might be hard working with the whole group at once, that's why I'd suggest splitting into two groups.

Scuba Club is hosting an Underwater Photo and Video workshop from July 13 - 23, 2019. The event is being hosted by Bonnie Pelnar. Check out the Scuba Club website, under the "News" tab, for more information, or contact Scuba Club direct. I am not aware of any divemasters at Scuba Club that specialize in photography, but with a group of 10 - 12 divers I am sure they would go out of their way to accommodate your needs. :thumb: Hope this helps !!

Dive safe !!

Divegoose :)

The DM is Jesus Zetina, and he is still there. He lets photographers stop in areas protected from the current and stay as long as they want. I think Jim Lyle had Nestor Sansores as DM last year and did alright as far as photos go. The other DMs have a follow me attitude.
jesus2.jpg

If it's a photo workshop I'm guessing they'll let you stop to take pictures :)

I went along with my girlfriend and Jose on her Discover Scuba and he gave me all the time I wanted to do videos so maybe he's another choice in addition to Jesus. Come to think of it, I don't think I've met Jesus at SCC but I haven't been there for a couple of years.

I just returned from there and had Miguel as my DM and he was excellent. He didn't mind stopping and hiding from the current to look for things and showing people. As long as you stayed within view he was fine. There were a few times I was a probably 100-150 yds aways and he was good. Once he noticed I took pics he was looking for small unusual critters to for me to take pics of. It somewhat turned into a contest of who could find the small hard to find guys.

I just returned from there and had Miguel as my DM and he was excellent. He didn't mind stopping and hiding from the current to look for things and showing people. As long as you stayed within view he was fine. There were a few times I was a probably 100-150 yds aways and he was good. Once he noticed I took pics he was looking for small unusual critters to for me to take pics of. It somewhat turned into a contest of who could find the small hard to find guys.

Interesting--before I went diving with Miguel I didn't know it was possible to yell at someone underwater from 100 feet away :wink: His main gripe was that I was not staying with my assigned insta-buddy. He's also the only DM that ever assigned a buddy to me. Your results may vary. Other than that I thought he was an excellent DM. Matter-of-fact, all the DMs I've met on Cozumel have been exceptional. Even Manuel (SCC) was great but there was one day that I didn't tip him for.

I agree that the water there is clear, but 150 yards? That must have been a really good day.

Unfortunately, my friend Jesus has retired.

Still photography is a challenge on drift dives in Cozumel. The best place to play with your camera is on a shore dive in front of the hotel, especially if you are into macro photography.

Lots to see and photograph right off shore from Scuba Club. Last March we had a spotted eagle ray right under the main pier. :thumb2: We observed him on three different dives, as he was frequenting the area.

I believe Jesus is now working in the shop with William.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom