Need Advice on Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyEis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello all,

I need some help planning a trip to Victoria for some diving.

My fiance and I got certified last year and have 10 dives logged.

Next month we are doing the advanced course.

In July we are getting married. We are going to Asia in September for our honeymoon but since we live in Portland Oregon we are planning on taking a short honeymoon after the wedding to do some scuba diving.

The more I read about Vancouver Island the more excited I get to dive there.

I figured a good introduction and also a shorter drive would be to do some diving around Victoria.

We will be in Victoria July 21st Mon-Fri so no weekend. Probably two days of diving.

Looks like some excellent shore dives but also some great boat dives.

What would you recommend?

Would you recommend guided shore dives?

Any suggestions for where to stay ~$100-$180 CDN range. Would like it to be close to Victoria as well as Scuba friendly (no 2 mile walks from the car to room).

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot!

Jim

Most charters here run on the weekends. It's possible to get a boat to go out on a weekday, but you'd have to charter the whole boat (expensive). For accomodations, you could try The Surf Motel. It's a bit expensive for a motel (There are plenty of cheaper places in town), but it's right on the waterfront across from Ogden Point. Skookumchuck (on this board) has stayed there so he might be able to give a first-hand opinion.

Regarding shore diving you got the Breakwater and Ten Mile PT. Both excellent dive.
There is also a lot of shore dives in the Saanich Inlet (25 minutes from Downtown) the problem with the dive there is that during the summer you could have 5ft of viz on day and the next you could have 100ft. There isn't the same amount of sea life as the Breakwater or Ten miles but you have a lot of deep wall (Willis Pt, Mackenzie Bight).

Cheers

Al

Regarding shore diving you got the Breakwater and Ten Mile PT. Both excellent dive.
There is also a lot of shore dives in the Saanich Inlet (25 minutes from Downtown) the problem with the dive there is that during the summer you could have 5ft of viz on day and the next you could have 100ft. There isn't the same amount of sea life as the Breakwater or Ten miles but you have a lot of deep wall (Willis Pt, Mackenzie Bight).

Cheers

Al
Hey Al we are doing a deep shore dive at Orlebar on Gabriola Island this Sunday afternoon. Let me know if you can make it.

I would second Swankensteins recommendation of the Surf Inn. I stayed there last October for $110 dollars per night. Nothing fancy but the location can't be beat. As for shore diving, the most valuable resource available is Swankensteins website, everything you need to know about location and most importantly current as well as everything you'll see and a bunch of stuff you won't.

Hey Al we are doing a deep shore dive at Orlebar on Gabriola Island this Sunday afternoon. Let me know if you can make it.

Sorry Dave, I can't make it this week-end.

Hi Victoria has some great diving. Go with Ogden Point & right there is a great shore dive. Get 'Betty's bible', 101 dives, there's a new version which will great for you. Dive some more before Victoria though, dive at home, you've got great diving there.

Thanks everyone that responded! Can't wait. Yes me and the soon to be wife are planning on doing a lot more diving before July. We just finished the PADI AOW course last weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom