Need advice on scuba fins for wide feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jataro

Reaction score
I'm very new to diving and I know nothing about equipment. I'm taking a PADI open water certification course and I bought my fins from my instructor who I belive is a quality source of information. The fins are the Cressi Frogs. I've worn them 4 times since I purchased them, all in the pool. Each time they feel tight around the ball of my foot and by the end of a 90 minute session in the pool my foot is sore. I tried on a larger size (XL) when I was in the shop but it was too deep for my foot. The instructor is happy to let me exchange them for another pair in his shop so I have some options but I'm hoping to get some info on brands that come wide. If it's just that i need to break in my fins like you break in a new pair of shoes I'm happy to do that but I really don't want to go diving with sore feet. My shoe size is 10.5 2E (up to 4E in some shoes). Any advice would be really helpful.
Thank you.
Jat.

Hi Jataro,

Welcome to the board.

I can empathize with you, I own a pair of 7 1/2 3E feet. When I first started diving several years ago I didn't know what I was doing and bought fins that didn't fit, but I didn't know they didn't fit, I just thought they were supposed to be uncomfortable like that. Then an instructor friend of mine suggested I try Mares Plana Avanti Quattros. That was 5 years and 600+ dives ago and I am still using the same pair of Quattros and loving them.

My Quattros are size Regular, a good friend has feet about the size of yours and he uses Quatto size XL. Quattros may not be the fin for you, but at least look at them. They perform great as well.

The type of bootie you use has a lot to do with the fin's fit, when trying on fins make sure to wear the bootie you plan to wear diving, or if you don't own booties yet try on different booties with a pair of fins to find a good combination then buy the booties that fit the fin.

I bought Cressi Frogs specifically b/c I have small, narrow feet, so I'm not surprised you're finding yours a bit tight. Mares fins are certainly wider. Many other brands are as well.

I don't think you can 'break in' a pair of fins. If they make your legs sore, the situation may improve as you get used to finning, but if they're too tight, I don't think they're going to stretch. You could try thinner booties, but since your instructor is willing to swap the fins for something else, I'd try his other brands.

Zept

I've had a similar problem with new fins; they were constricting my foot & I tried to "break them in" unsuccessfully. I don't have extraordinarily wide feet, but rubber fins worked better for me. Perhaps they have a little more give. Try some & se.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom