Need Advice On Putting In Drysuit Zip Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally took the plunge and bought a drysuit (DUI TLS 350 - front entry). Yeah!!! However, while trying it on I've discovered that drysuits are a PITA to put on and take off. :D I need some helpful hints on putting in the wrist and neck zip seals. What another PITA even though I know eventually I'll get the hang of it and it will save dives. Sooooo........who can give me some helpful hints on putting these things in? I've tried folding the wrist seal in half then laying it on the inside of the sleeve wrist area, lining the grooves up, popping them in as the wrist seal unfolds. I just can't get it!

BTW, I'm diving it for the first time on Sunday.

Thanks!
Mel

suthnbelle:
I finally took the plunge and bought a drysuit (DUI TLS 350 - front entry). Yeah!!! However, while trying it on I've discovered that drysuits are a PITA to put on and take off. :D I need some helpful hints on putting in the wrist and neck zip seals. What another PITA even though I know eventually I'll get the hang of it and it will save dives. Sooooo........who can give me some helpful hints on putting these things in? I've tried folding the wrist seal in half then laying it on the inside of the sleeve wrist area, lining the grooves up, popping them in as the wrist seal unfolds. I just can't get it!

BTW, I'm diving it for the first time on Sunday.

Thanks!
Mel
Mel,

While I personally do not have ZipSeals on my suit I have seen others replace the seals.

I assume that you are talking about taking the bare arm and adding the seal and not putting your hand through the end of the arm. First and foremost, use a lubricant. A friend of mine uses somthing I take to be the same baby shampoo he uses for his mask de-fog. apply the lubricant liberally to the Zip either on the seal or the arm and spend some time clicking the thing together. He says that without the lubricant it is really difficult, if not almost impossible, but with the lubricant it is almost easy. It is a huge difference. Do a similar procedure on the neck Zip.

If you are talking about getting your hand through the seal that is already installed on the end of the sleeve then make sure that the seal has powdered talc liberally applied to both the inside and the outside of the seal. Grab the seal with your other hand and bunch it up to prevent tearing, once your hand is through smooth out the seal on your wrist. Be careful not to tear the seal with fingernails or jewelry. Frankly you should remove all jewelry like ear rings or watches to keep them from tearing the seals.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

Are you sure that it is PITA. It is just matter of time that you get used to the zip seal. First, you need to have a soapy spray (I put a baby shampoo and water).
Second, spray on the rim, Third, just zip it. I put the wrist seal inside of wrist of suit, aligh it on the wrist rim (on the suit), and zip it with a light pressure first.

hoosier:
Are you sure that it is PITA. It is just matter of time that you get used to the zip seal. First, you need to have a soapy spray (I put a baby shampoo and water).
Yes I'm sure. :D It was quite the PITA last night but I think this baby shampoo trick will help a lot. I didn't have the suit on while trying to put in the seals and sounds like I was doing it like hoosier explained. Thanks to both of you because I think this is really going to help. I'm going to give it a try tonight.

Now, if you can also tell me what to do about the neck seal pulling my hair out when I'm putting it on and off! lol Do you put baby powder on the neck seal to make it glide on easier over your hair? I have long hair and it feels like it is pulling it out during this process.

Mel

suthnbelle:
Yes I'm sure. :D It was quite the PITA last night but I think this baby shampoo trick will help a lot. I didn't have the suit on while trying to put in the seals and sounds like I was doing it like hoosier explained. Thanks to both of you because I think this is really going to help. I'm going to give it a try tonight.

Now, if you can also tell me what to do about the neck seal pulling my hair out when I'm putting it on and off! lol Do you put baby powder on the neck seal to make it glide on easier over your hair? I have long hair and it feels like it is pulling it out during this process.

Mel
Mel, as you know I also have long hair. I put mine in a pony tail and just deal with it. I have heard others say that they use a nylon stocking similar to panty hose over their hair, sort of like a shower cap. this keeps the hair up above the neck line and slips more easily through the seal. For me the talc makes enough of a difference that the hair net is not needed. I do usually ask my buddy to take a close look for any "straggelers" or single strands of hair that run down through the seal that might end up causing a small leak. I can't stress the talc enough though, it really makes both the wrist and neck seals much easier to get through.

I also flip the neck seal so that the end points inward and down, this gives me a little more mobility without leaks when I turn my head. In my case it also puts the seal below my adams apple so that is less likely to give me problems. Skin out neoprene seals are folded in this way.

Mark Vlahos

I use the shampoo spray on the neck seal (and wrists) just before putting it on. It really helps. The ponytail option is what my wife uses. We prefer the spray over the talc personally. Mark’s suggestion of turning in the ends is a good one and one the DUI folks suggest as well. One catch is, since you have to have your zip seal gloves on prior to donning, the suggested method is to dress up through the left arm but do not put the right sleeve on, then get your head through the neck seal, fix your hair and turn in the seal (especially if you are using neoprene instead of latex seals) then put in your right arm. Now I’m not limber enough to do that, but you may be.

A small pump bottle works fine, I get my wife’s old fragrance spray bottles when done, mix 10% shampoo, 90% water. Some folks spray their hair before donning as well. Plus it works well to rinse my hair with after the dives.

suthnbelle:

Mel

Yes, the soapy water is a critical point...:wink:

As for the neck seal, here is another trick to make don/doff easier.

First, put two fingers into each side of neck seal (3 & 9 o'clock direction).
Second, trun your head to the left (3 o'clolck direction).
Third, expand the neck seal as much as you need while you slide your head into.

Two advantages of this methiod are
1. you can know and control how much expansion you need because your left fingers will hit your nose and chin.
2. Your face and backhead are toward to the roomy area compared to 12 or 6 o'clock direction where is getting less rommy and flat as you expand the neck seal.

Sure, I put a taltec or KY whatever I prefer. It give less stress on the latex seal. My GF is also doing in the same way. She is very good at it after a couple of excercise.

In addition, there is another trick for the "doff" the suit.

After pulling out your head from the neck seal (it is the same way you are doing "don": "Turn you head to the left and use two fingers to stretch out the neck seal)
Second, put your one finger under the wrist seal and expand it while you are pulling out your hand.
Thrid , do it again in other hand
Fourth, ask your body to hold the one end of wrist, not wrist seal (either left or right arm).
Fifth, twist your body into the clockwise or counter clockwise to pull out your arm and hand.

Actually, it is a darn esay way from DUI technician.... The key points are to give a less stree on the seal and make your life easy....:wink:

I hope this will help...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom