Need advice on Belize trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny Wishbone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys, maybe going to Belize for the first time and would like some good places for a complete stay and dive package. Wife is looking at Yok Ha resort. Any feedback on this place? I read alot of negative on Belize. considering Cayman Brac or Little Cayman as I have already been to Grand Cayman. What say you?

Last edited:
Belize has a number of these small caye resorts. Looks nice. I don't remember anyone posting here who has stayed there.

Other resorts that are similar would be Hatchet Caye, Turneffe Island Resort, Blackbird Caye and Turneffe Flats. My wife and I have stayed at TIR twice and really enjoyed it.

I've not heard of Yok Ha either and would love to see a review if you go there. I'd like to try a caye resort sometime and keep learning of ones I've never heard of. I've never seen a good comprehensive list, especially anything dive oriented. For some reason solid information on accommodations in Belize seems rather sparse compared to some destinations, and the various travel sites aren't as helpful as you would like. I'm guessing this is because so many places there are small, unique, and since only a small percentage of people bother writing reviews of places statistically sometimes you can't find much. Also probably many places are run by folks without the inclination to deal with the whole web thing very well. So finding the right place and even getting simple info like "is there A/C" (or "electricity" :wink: can require detective work and be tedious. Web sites tend to raise more questions than they answer and you have to ask everything. I found people to be very nice and helpful, but still it's tedious.

That said, I would ask lots of questions about the dive packages at this place. I could be totally wrong, but I looked at their website and it doesn't give the sense it's what most people would consider a real dive resort with an actual dive operation. Rather that diving to them is just another excursion people might do one day similar to seeing some ruins or whatever, and farmed out to a local diver operator. But, I did see them answer a question online recently saying they have their own dive shop. Dives sounded expensive, and I'd wonder if they require a minimum number of divers for a trip to happen. Some of the reviews I read seemed to imply they had only one boat. Maybe that has changed but if it's true, what happens to diving if other people want to do something else? I also saw someone mention trips to further places like the blue hole, and I'd wonder if they are really doing that themselves and what kind of boat they would be using. Basically I'd ask a lot of questions.

Whenever you read positive or negative things about Belize, remember you're talking about not only opinions of how someplace seemed to a particular person at a particular time - but about a whole country with a variety of far flung dive areas that aren't much alike. This is slightly true of a place like Cayman but much more of an issue when someone just says "Belize." For example on a recent Belize thread someone made the statement "Belize has relatively cloudy water and brown lifeless reefs" - that has certainly not been my experience, diving mostly at Lighthouse atoll and a bit off Placencia - but I have no idea where in Belize this person was diving.

Thank you guys for the replys. I trust the opinions of those here on SB who have been there over reviews randomly found online. thanks again

I cannot speak to the place to stay but I would highly recommend Splash Dive Center as a dive operation

Hey guys, maybe going to Belize for the first time and would like some good places for a complete stay and dive package. Wife is looking at Yok Ha resort. Any feedback on this place? I read alot of negative on Belize. considering Cayman Brac or Little Cayman as I have already been to Grand Cayman. What say you?
Get in touch with David Thomas Cal who runs B&D Belize Magical Adventures. It is a small locally owned operation with great personal service and great rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom