Need Advice For Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm starting to plan a trip for next fall, most likely October. I'm planning on returning to Lembeh in October, but want to stop at Hawaii (Big Island) and Sydney first. I'm an underwater photographer and the weedy and leafy sea dragons have been number one on my bucket list for a long time. I understand that the weedies are at Sydney, and the leafies at Adelaide? I would love to do both areas, but that's probably not possible. How is October for diving? I can a wear a 3 mm down to the low 70s F, and would rather not have to haul my 5 mm along, too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I understand from my reading here that Abyss Diving is a good place to go. Shore dives are not the best for me, considering physical limitations and a large camera rig. But, I do want those photos.

You could also check out flinders pier, just out of Melbourne for Weedies

A really simple shore dive with great access,

Cheers

Nate

you might want to PM @CodyS for some advice on Sydney he's found some pygmy pipefish recently too

Hi Laurie,

First things first, have a read of Michaels website - Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

The diving in Sydney is great all year. Better vis in winter than summer, although it is fine all year around. Sounds like you'll want the warmer water anyway though. You will want a 5mm at bare minimum. I dive a very well sealed 7/5mm when not diving dry.

Feel free to shoot me a message, I can either point you in the right direction or take you out depending how busy I am. I tend to mainly shore dive as there are lots of wonderful sites here and I enjoy it more.

Regards
Cody

My dive log says you're probably looking at mid 60s rather than low 70s for October in Sydney. Most people I know dive in 5mm for most of the year.

Weedies in Sydney is going to mostly be shore dives - Kurnell (The Leap & The Steps) - and plenty of steps from the carpark to the water. So worth it though .

Yeah, I wear a 5mm plus a sleeveless hooded vest.

Re the guide, can't help you there. Maybe check with the local dive shops.

However, if you did a shore dive with one of the local dive shops I'm pretty sure people would at least give you a bit of a hand - Sydney divers are pretty friendly.

I think the prudent question is... do you like long or short dives? Also, are you planning single or double dives? This will impact thermal protection needs considerably. If you're anything like me you'll move like a snail and stay down there all day.

Have a look on Michael's website. He has a log of average and min/max temps on there - Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

I can give you a list of shops with good reputations. I'm sure that most of them will do what they can to accommodate you given a bit of notice. There are not a lot of holiday divers here so there is normally an expectation of self sufficiency. However as Chris said, overall we're a pretty friendly bunch of divers.

There is no reason you can't see weedies on boat dives inside and outside of Botany bay. You'll probably be best served by boat diving if you really can't handle carrying all of your gear.

Back
Top Bottom